waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Old 21-06-2008, 11:03 AM

Stop wasting time chatting and go do something.

I use NOS and Water/methanol injection, so I get it all and it goes like a stabbed rat. I can disable the NOS easily to run on just water/methanol (approx 70-80% methanol) so I don't have to use the more expensive NOS all the time. Methanol only costs me about 80p per litre and I use maybe 2ltrs a week. NOS costs me about ?5.20 a lb and I can use all of that in minutes few... about 4 minutes constant flow I believe.

With neither running I kick out a subtle 190bhp, 290lbft.

With the methanol running I get about 210lbft and 330lbft.

With every thing going bang, I get 250+bhp and my clutch will slip at a max of 380lbft.

Who cares about "how much heat will this absorb"? The water methanol injection is a cheaper option to buy and run, so lbft for ? the WI is the winning. If you want absolute power then you can obviously get more with NOS but it costs a lot more to setup/run and runs out quick.

If you go for the WI, I would recommend the industrial 125psi 2ltr/min pump that these guys do. One last note, don't blow up turbos, they cost lots of money...
Old 14-08-2010, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Nitrous oxide vs Water injection - which one cools best?

I wish you guys would stop sounding like the movie "The Fast and The Furious":roll: It's not "NOS"...that is a brand name. It's n2o or nitrous oxide. Now that we have the dorky cliche's out of the way I can clear up this cooling B.S. n2o is NOT a coolant!! unless its used OUTSIDE your motor. When nitrous passes through the intake it drops intake temps dramatically which creates a nice dense air charge. When nitrous enters the combustion chamber the temps break it down to 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen. Nitrogen acts as a buffer and oxygen gets the fire cranking:evil: did you hear that... FIRE CRANKING. The danger with nitrous is that you get a more rapid combustion process, which also generates high pressure and tremendous heat requiring a reduction in timing to prevent detonation. Water/meth is a wonderful compliment to nitrous users because it raises the effective octane and cools the cylinder temps through latent heat of evaporation. The high octane allows for reduced or no timing retard and the water cools and stabilizes the combustion process. To sum it up... nitrous is a POWER adder and water/meth is an octane/coolant enhancement.
Old 17-11-2016, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Nitrous oxide vs Water injection - which one cools best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tdog View Post
I wish you guys would stop sounding like the movie "The Fast and The Furious":roll: It's not "NOS"...that is a brand name. It's n2o or nitrous oxide. Now that we have the dorky cliche's out of the way I can clear up this cooling B.S. n2o is NOT a coolant!! unless its used OUTSIDE your motor. When nitrous passes through the intake it drops intake temps dramatically which creates a nice dense air charge. When nitrous enters the combustion chamber the temps break it down to 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen. Nitrogen acts as a buffer and oxygen gets the fire cranking:evil: did you hear that... FIRE CRANKING. The danger with nitrous is that you get a more rapid combustion process, which also generates high pressure and tremendous heat requiring a reduction in timing to prevent detonation. Water/meth is a wonderful compliment to nitrous users because it raises the effective octane and cools the cylinder temps through latent heat of evaporation. The high octane allows for reduced or no timing retard and the water cools and stabilizes the combustion process. To sum it up... nitrous is a POWER adder and water/meth is an octane/coolant enhancement.
Who cares who calls it what? As the above post said stop talking and go out and do it, I did.

I have '16 Focus ST. It now has Nitrous Express EFI Dry nitrous system and AEM Water-Methanol injection.