waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > In Cylinder Effects

Old 04-02-2004, 03:11 AM

Default Cylinder head [combustion chamber] cooling

I'm wondering,

If the water injection system offers in cylinder cooling, isn't it safe to assume that the entire combustion chamber is being cooled and hence deduce that the exhaust valves are also being cooled relative to what they would be exposed to if WI was not installed.!

Or does the lattent heat of evapouration remove excess heat only from the inlet charge? If this is so suppose i inject water at a lower boost level, will the increased water vapour cause a greater cooling effect on the combustion chamber and also the exhaust valves?

This stems from information that i came accross that due to the design of my cylinder head exhaust ports, my exhaust valves are exposed to a great heat load which after a while will lead to leaking valve. { suzuki swift gti turbo}
I'm hoping that my WI will be my saving grace!

what do you guys think?
Hugh Gordon
Old 04-02-2004, 05:09 AM

Just look at your EGT. If it lowers the EGT it lowers the exhaust valve temp. If not, then odds are the increased heat energy may actually make them hotter. (The water filled air will carry more heat, and the valves will have a harder time dissipating it into the head.)

BUT ... the EGT should be lower, so I would think the valves would indeed be cooler.

Adrian
Old 04-02-2004, 05:19 AM

Just thought I would add ...

If you're only comparing it to without WI, and there are no other mods, yes it will cool them.

But if you want to run higher EGT here are some mods you should probably look into:

1. Ceramic coatings. They can go on all the valves, pistons, and even combustion chambers, though they're harder to do. If too many internal parts are coated however, better materials for the external bolt on parts may be required because if less heat is absorbed into the engine, guess where that heat goes. (Better alloy exhaust turbines, ceramic coated turbines, race cats etc.)

2. Nimonic or Inconel alloy valves, while slightly heavier, and only slightly better conductors of heat, are FAR more temperature stable. They are extremely hard to damage. My Saab Viggen has Nimonic exhaust valves, and Brad from KC Saab on this board will tell you just how hard these cars are to damage. Also you might consider a better alloy for the exhaust turbine on the turbo.

3. Forged pistons can withstand higher temps, they're always a plus at higher tuning levels, but they are generally less reliable. Forged metal expands more when heated, so they're very loose fitting when cold. This causes more blow by and engine wear. Probably best not to buy them if you aren't gonna need em.

Sorry for such a long post, but I thought it would be a good idea to list these sorts of things. WI will let you run higher EGT without knock ... but if the EGT does go too high for the valves, only lowering the EGT will save them. Add more water.

Hope this is useful ... take it easy and be careful!

Yours Truly,
Adrian
Old 04-02-2004, 01:51 PM

Great adrian thanks for that info i'll look into it and reply to the forum.
Hugh Gordon
Old 21-02-2005, 04:01 AM

Hi turbogti,

I got a G13B turbo like you

I looking for a WIS for anti-detonation and lower EGT quality

do you have instal your kit ?

can you run more timing with it ?

and lower EGT ?

thanks
Jeremi
Old 22-02-2005, 01:59 PM

suzsub, nice to see you in here
If you looking at WI you have many to choose from.
I'm using the Aquamist 1s basic system.
I inject water at 12psi with full boost at 16psi

Water injection depends on setup will lower your EGT you can also increase your timing when you run water injection

But FYI before i turbo'd my G13B i was running 11degrees timng which is 3 degrees over the stock 8 degrees timing at idle.

if you want to speak further you can add me to yahoo or hotmail
h_gdon@yahoo.com
hgdon@hotmail.com
Hugh Gordon
Old 26-05-2005, 04:56 AM

yep yep that it.