waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

No, you just inject nitro only - no water.

I have just given you the stoichometric value for nitro. This is the same as giving you a stoicometric value for gasoline as 14.5:1

Much much stress your engine can take is not know. If oyu read the earlier post, you will see top fuel drag car now run almost 100% nitro.

I think 80% notro and 20% methanol will gusrantee that the mixture wil be on the rich side of stoichometric.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:56 AM

The vag 1.8t is good for 330bhp 320lbf-ft in standard form then rods start giving way!!

How much of a boost in bhp would i be expecting from injecting Nitro?

Custom remap by STAR PERFORMANCE
Old 03-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

about 8000BHP at a flowrate of 3.6 gallon a second.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:49 PM

wow that's serious bhp!!

So trying this is not for the faint hearted then, by my thinking it'll either work a treat or go bang big style!

Old 05-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I don't think you should try it.

looking back from some previous calculatiOn, it appears that every 100cc/m injected wil give about 4-5hp.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:45 AM

Default slow and cautious

Yes I would agree with Richard on this one!!

If you plan on playing with nitromethane injection, its definitely a cutting edge sort of experiment and should not be attempted by folks that are not willing to lose an engine to the "cause of research".

Once a few people plow the ground a bit and we have a recipe for it that is known to work, it will likely become much like nitrous injection.

It should be safe if used according to proven good practice, but for the short term this is a "gee in theory this should work really good" sort of idea and you would definitely be well advised to go very slowly with proper instrumentation to know what is happening inside the engine.

I don't want someone coming back and pointing a finger at me and saying --- but you said it would work!!

Play with this stuff with your eyes open and understand we are exploring a new application with very little live test data at this point. There may be a surprise or two out there for folks running Nitromethane / WI setups.

Larry
Old 06-05-2005, 09:49 AM

i see that injecting nitromethane will burn on nearly a 1:1 ratio, but where is the extra oxygen going to come from if my engine is running at 11:1 air fuel ratio at high revs. (2L 4pot turbo)

would it burn the oxygen left over that the petrol doesnt burn or should i lean the fuelling off a bit?

Drew
Old 06-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Sorry that I have not made clear. The Nitro itself has 50% fuel and 50% oxygen combined it doesn't need extra oxygen or extra fuel to support its burn.

The reason for adding 20% methanol to it is to ensure that it burns on the "rich" side.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: slow and cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod
There may be a surprise or two out there for folks running Nitromethane / WI setups.

Larry
What do you mean by that mate?

So it looks like we'll have to order Nitrobooster from Snow Performance, as it is tried and tested.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:38 AM

Default cautious

Quote:
What do you mean by that mate?
Just what it says, --- there is very little history with this sort of application, and that nearly always means there are things we don't know that someone will learn the hard way. With Nitrous oxide it was things like be sure you have a reliable fuel supply and never let your engine experience a fuel cut while spraying. Do not spray at low rpm, do not use platinum plugs etc. etc.

I would not be surprised that the same sort of lessons are out there for Nitro-WI setups.

I just don't want folks to go trotting off and pouring a big slug of Nitro in their system and than whinning when they break something. If you know up front your dabbling in an unknown area and are willing to accept some risks that come from pushing the envelope good for ya --- let me know what you learn.

Just reading between the lines on some of the posts on this thread, I think a few folks do not appreciate that this concept sounds like it has a lot of potential but has very little track record to go by.

I'm older than most of you and have seen this sort of enthusiasum before, for new performance "tricks". People have a tendency to push too far into the unknown without realizing there are some risks involved. Unfortunately the ones that push too far are frequently the ones least prepared to understand the gains and risks posed by a new system.

Quote:
So it looks like we'll have to order Nitrobooster from Snow Performance, as it is tried and tested.
Just because its for sale does not mean its " tried and tested"

Snow Performance is a local company and they appear to produce good products. I have not had the opportunity to meet Matt yet but someday I'd like to trot down and talk with him. I know several folks that run his WI system here in the Denver area and all speak highly of it. ---But I have yet to meet anyone that has actually used the Nitro-booster stuff or seen any actual "test data" that would demonstrate how well it works. To date the only first person information we have regarding Nitro and WI, is a couple of contributors to this and related threads. That is not a lot of data.

I guess I'm just cautious by nature ---- Snow Performance also cautions on their web site that using too much will cause a lean condition although they don't elaborate. I would be much more comfortable with the whole thing if they published a bit more info, like how much the EGT changed, effects on ignition timing etc.

I don't want to appear to be bashing them, just being a cautious consumer. In fact I would love to see them contribute to this discussion!! As at the moment they are the only vendor I know of that is actively marketing this application.

Larry