waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > General Effects

Old 16-09-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Approximate time to tune for water injection?

I'm wondering about how long it would take to tune a car for water injection given the following conditions.

First the car is turbocharged and running an aftermarket software. I would have the company that produced the software do some additional tweaking with my current software, to take advantage of the water injection.

I have the 2D system with an accumulator. I have figured out the correct nozzle size for my injector flow rates for a 10% ratio water to fuel, and have set the turn on level of the W/I at the point where the stock boost level peaked. I wouldn't have them make any adjustments to these things. (Should they?)

They have been tuning this model car for a number of years, have a dyno and the other equipment necessary to revise the engine code. They have also tuned this model and others to run on race gas. They haven't done a water injection project though.

Anybody have any experience on about how much time it would take to get a water injection tune? Any educated guesses?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:12 AM

My car was the same thinga as your's, turbocharged, running aftermarket software, that the tuner knows alot about. THe Alky injection really doesn't matter. Whoever tunes will tune it as if there is an excess of fuel, becuase there will be. Also, the will add timing because of the cooling effects of the water. Then you add boost to make more power also. The effects of trimming fuel will make the mixture lean, but when the alk is running it will compensate and make the mixture correct. My system kicks on a 8 lbs of boost at a partial spray. At 14 lbs it kicks on to full pressure. If I didn't have the alky injection at 14 lbs the car would knock and detonate and blow the engine. Do a baseline first with alcohol to find out AFR, and where the timing is at WOT under full boost. All the tuner needs to do is take away fuel to begin with to make a safe mixture under boost with alcohol, then look at the wideband to find out what AFR is. Take away more fuel if needed, 12:1 AFR's are about optimum IMHO. Once you have fueling locked in, start adding timing. SLOWLY. Add timing as long as it doesn't knock, when it does take it back a notch. Then slowly add boost until knock, and then back off a little. My WRX was tuned in about 2 hours using a TurboXS UTEC piggyback, on a dynopack dyno with built in wideband o2. Make sure you are using wideband. That is sorta the jist. This may not be exactly how it will or should be done, but I am also not familiar with what car or software you are using. My car made another 30Hp and 30 Ft lbs of tq with just the addition of WI and a good tune for it. So the gains are worth it.

DP

Disclaimer:
I cannot be held responsible for any damage to your car because of an improper tune ETC. If you aren't sure the tuner is up to it, go to someone with your make auto, that can tune your software, with water/alky injection.