waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 21-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Default Going with the HFS-3

My first post in this forum. I will be purchasing the HFS-3 system from Howerton Engineering and like all of my other mods, I will be doing the install myself. The car will then be re-tuned by EFI Logics.

Full info on my '07 FXT can be found here.

To avoid having to mix my own brew, I will be using AutoZone windshield washer fluid that is 32% meth/68% water. It sells for under $2 a gallon and contains no other ingredients other than blue coloring.

My goal with WI is (1) to lower the current IDC of 98%; (2) lean out the current A/F ratio of 11.1:1 and (3) harvest any additional HP/torque to be had with a conservative tune. My FXT (with 4EAT automatic transmission) currently puts down 261 WHP - 310 ft./lbs. on a Mustang dyno.

I settled on using the HFS-3 because of its use of IDC to control flow and its use of a constant speed pump/FAV. I also very much appreciate the support offered by this forum and from Jeff at Howerton Engineering. I think this system will work perfectly for my goals.

I'm still sorting out what I will be doing for a WI tank. If I cannot find a suitable location to mount the pump at the same level of (or below) the windshield washer reservoir, I will use the small 2-quart tank under the hood and set up a means to transfer fluid from the washer reservior to the WI tank. Since I have no trunk, I wish to avoid placing the pump and tank inside the car.

I hope to start this project within the next few weeks and will post photos of my progress.
Old 21-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Going with the HFS-3

You can't go wrong with Howerton Eng. his before and after sale cust service is top notch. I use pre-mix Boost juice which is 50/50 with a red dye. Its a little more expensive but the higher meth content is good thing. As far as pump and tank placement, there are some custom solutions that can be made that would blend into the rear cargo area and allow for venting to the outside. The use of a small underhood tank could result in very frequent fill ups depending on your driving style and if the tank is baffled.

Good luck

Last edited by jmargo; 21-04-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 25-04-2010, 04:12 PM

Pulled the fender liner this weekend and it looks very good - the tank is huge (at least 2 gallons), there's plenty of room for the WI hardware on the tank and enough room next to the tank to mount the WI pump. The area also looks reasonably dry and clean, though I will fabricate and extra sheild for the WI pump to protect it from any drips/splashes that may find their way in.

Will update this thread with install photos as I progess over the next month.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Default Installation - Post 1

HFS-3 Install #1

I am now in the process of installing the Aquamist HFS3 water/methanol injection system. This is the first of mulitple posts documenting the installation.

The installation is going to include the following items;

1 - Aquamist HFS3 kit

1 - Aquamist 806-280 Water Level Sensor Kit

1 - MadDad Ultra Basic Series 52mm Boost Gauge

1 - Subtle Forester - Ashtray Gauge Bezel

I am using the stock windshield washer reservior and will inject -20 degree F. washer fluid. I am using AutoZone -20 fluid, which is 32% methanol/68% water.

Today I installed the gauges in the Subtle bezel and then installed the cluster in the console. The gauges are not yet connected - that will be the last step when I install the main Aquamist controller in the glove box. The photos below show the cluster installed. The LED holder between the gauges will connect to the 806-280 secondary water level sensor, which will be installed about 2/3 of the way down in the washer reservior to give advance warning of when the level is getting low (before the primary float level switch is reached and activates the Aquamist failsafe that drops boost to wastegate level).

The next planned step is to remove the front bumper and (1) install the float level and pump inlet hardware in the reservior; (2) mount the pump next to the reservior; (3) install the FAV (Fast Acting Valve) and (4) install the tubing from the reservior to the pump and from the pump to the FAV. Hopefully I will do that next weekend.

Photos of the gauge cluster installed;

Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

nice, very nice pictures!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Howerton Engineering

Looks great. I don't think my car was that clean when it was new.....Being a convertible it has a nice layer of dust both inside and outside.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

The ashtray gauge pod is very nice and clever piece of engineering work.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
The ashtray gauge pod is very nice and clever piece of engineering work.
It does provide for a very clean, OEM-looking install. Only downside is that it requires moving the head (and taking eyes off the road) to read the gauges.

The boost gauge has a memory function that displays the highest boost when turning off the car. That at least will help overcome the less-than-optimum placement.

I have all my hardware ready to go for the reservior/pump install this weekend. I will take more photos and post the results.

BTW, I took the Foz for it's first trip to the 1/4 mile drag strip last week. I only got in one run and bogged the launch terribly, resulting in a nearly 2.2 second 60' time. Even with the geriatric launch, I managed an ET of 13.422 seconds at 104.4 MPH. With a good launch the car would be in the 12-second bracket. With the HFS3 installed and a re-tune, I think it will do 12s easily all day.

Last edited by Canonshooter; 06-05-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howerton Engineering View Post
Looks great. I don't think my car was that clean when it was new.....Being a convertible it has a nice layer of dust both inside and outside.
Jeff, some people garden, some people read, some people knit. Me, I get my relaxation/stress relief detailing my car.

I know, strange...
Old 09-05-2010, 02:02 PM

HFS-3 Install #2

I mounted the pump and tank hardware yesterday. The install worked out well!

Photo below shows the windshield washer reservior with the two float switches installed on the side of the tank facing the engine compartment. The float switch on the upper-right is the secondary switch that I installed to illuminate the LED in my gauge cluster when the tank is about half empty. The switch on the lower left is the for the failsafe function (reduce boost to wastegate) when the level falls to that point.

The photo below shows the outlet tapping from the tank to the pump. This was installed in the lowest part of the tank, facing the front of the car. There was no room on the back of the tank, between the tank and the fender liner to install the fitting there.

Photo below shows the pump bracket installed. This is a simple L-bracket from Home Depot (decking hardware) that I drilled and painted black.

This photo show everything installed. The pump is at the same level as the bottom of the tank to avoid any priming issues. The outlet line from the pump to the FAV was run through a piece of 1/4" gas hose to protect it. The custom light bar (made of 1-inch square stock) was perfect for running the line to the other side of the car where the FAV will be located. I also covered the line from the tank to the pump after this photo was taken to protect it.

The location where the pump is installed is resonably dry, but since the pump must be well-protected from water splashes/drippage, I took a Dremel tool to a plastic food storage container and made a splash shield for the pump. I also sealed off the small, decorative grille on the side of the bumper cover to prevent any water coming in through that.

Next step is to install FAV, remove TMIC to install jet hardware and run all electrical lines into the passenger compartment.

Last edited by Canonshooter; 09-05-2010 at 02:06 PM.