waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 31-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Going with the HFS-3

Completed the installation this weekend. The system started up and worked perfectly.

Since I am extremely "fussy" about the work I do and had spent way too much time running every wire and line so that it would look as "OEM" as possible, I was relieved that I had made no install errors. All of my electrical connections are "twist and solder" and all wires are run through split-loom and neatly secured. As much as my 56 year old back aches from crawling around under the dashboard, I am pleased with the install.

I have tested the system and adjusted it as much as possible with the jet secured to the windshield under a wiper arm - all appears to be working as expected. The final step will happen on Thursday when I return to EFI Logics to have the car re-tuned.

My sincere thanks to Jeff Howerton for his help with the install! I had plenty of questions and Jeff responds quickly with the needed direction.

I will post my final results, some more photos and new dyno graph next weekend.

Last edited by Canonshooter; 31-05-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 PM

Here are the results of my re-tune with the Aquamist HFS3 system using ordinary -20 degree blue washer fluid (about 30% methanol, the rest water);

Old Tune / New Tune
max WHP - 261 to 274
max torque - 310 to 345
max IDC - 98% to 88%
AFR - 11.1/1 to 11.5/1

Conservative tune, zero knock events up to 140 MPH on the dyno. The car runs very smooth and of course, feels considerably stronger. I'm sure my EGT is now lower too.

Just for giggles, I had them do one full power pull in failsafe mode (wastegaste pressure, 7 PSI). I still made 240 WHP and 245 torque.

I had a 200 mile drive back from the tuner to dial in the failsafe. I think it's close now and will fine tune the settings over the next week or so.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product, the support and the results!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 AM
Howerton Engineering

I'd be interested in the dyno graph. It sounds like you got a healthy torque increase. Do you have the old plot overlayed with the new by chance?

Just curious, did you see what the AFR was on the failsafe pull?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM

I had my tuned at EFI last week as well using 50/50. Made around 40 more HP and TQ. I also have dyno plots if anyone cares.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Howerton Engineering

Sure, post them up.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 AM

Here is mine showing all three tunes. The water/meth injection sure made a lot more room under those curves!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howerton Engineering View Post
Just curious, did you see what the AFR was on the failsafe pull?
If I recall, it was the same as with the system on. The tuner said the AFR curve was perfect. He was also impressed with how consistent the Aquamist system was through all of the tuning.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Howerton Engineering

We try to convey that information as much as possible. The area under the curve and proper injection amounts across the entire rev range is what sets the Aquamist apart.

You should be able run the car repeatedly and have the AFR curves overlay nearly perfect.

Glad you are happy with the system. That's a nice TQ curve for using only 20-30% meth mix.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Give credit when credit is due, the entire journey from start to finish is drama free. If everyone takes as much care to details as you did on the install, Jeff and I will have a lot more time to ourselves. Well done!

Ever of thinking of running higher methanol percentage? For experience you get more torque increase.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Give credit when credit is due, the entire journey from start to finish is drama free. If everyone takes as much care to details as you did on the install, Jeff and I will have a lot more time to ourselves. Well done!

Ever of thinking of running higher methanol percentage? For experience you get more torque increase.
Richard, thanks for the kudos!

I spent a lot of time considering what I wanted to use for the mix. It boiled down to convenience, avoiding the handling of straight methanol and keeping the system as user friendly to use & maintain as possible. I knew there was more power to be had with higher methanol concentration, but based on the experience of other Subaru owners, I knew I was at the very limit of what the transmission will hold. Also, the Mustang dyno at the shop that did the tuning is notorious for low readings, so at a realistic estimate of about 400 HP at the crank, it's as far as I want to go.

The washer fluid I am using is sold at Autozone stores under their Valucraft name. It is roughly 32% methanol - the remainder is water and some blue dye. There is no detergent or glycol in it. Some people are skeptical of the blue dye and harm it may cause, but as we know dye is commonly used in many fuels, including aviation fuel and many race fuels. To compensate for any variation in methanol content of the washer fluid, I am "spiking" each gallon of fluid with a 12 ounce bottle of Heet gas line antifreeze (straight methanol).

Finally, the car was tuned with injection starting at around 12 PSI of boost using IDC trigger input (I'm runnning 20.8 PSI max). To add even more safety margin, I turned the threshold potentiometer a click lower to bring the system on a little earlier. My car builds boost very rapidly and I wanted to give the system more time to react.

I plan on getting out this weekend and doing some driving!