waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Other > Gallery - NEW

Old 13-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Default 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 | HFS-4 Install

I bought an HFS-4 system over a year ago and finally got around to installing it this past weekend. It was pretty straightforward, but I took my time since there is A LOT of wiring involved, more than your average WMI kit. I wanted to keep everything nice and tidy, so most of the time was spent planning out how everything was going to be routed and secured.

To start, here's the car...

I mounted a 4-quart tank on the driver side panel in the hatch, using strips of metal to secure the tank. Once the panel is in the car, the tank rests right up against the wheel well, which gives it quite a bit more support.

There is a foam piece that surrounds the spare tire. On the underside of the foam is a perfect space for the pump. With a knife and some minor modifications, the pump fits nice and snug. It's hidden from view and really keeps things clean in the hatch.

The gauge is secured in a custom pod, which is molded to the defrost vent.

The controller sits in the glovebox. All the wires and tubing running into the engine bay pass through a large hole behind the glovebox itself.

Old 13-08-2013, 04:12 PM

Default Re: 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 | HFS-4 Install

I used Posi-Lock wire taps to connect to the ECU. Cleaned it up a bit with electrical tape and wire loom.

I had two bungs welded into one of the IC cold pipes, just in case I might need to run two nozzles at some point.

Here you can see how the wires and tubing were routed into the engine bay from behind the glovebox. Again, I used wire looms to keep it looking tidy.

The FAV is mounted on the driver side frame rail, just above the nozzle on the IC pipe.

And finally, I secured 10 gallons of VP M1 for $74.

Last edited by skeurton; 13-08-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 18-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Pretty comprehensive, great pictures.
Old 24-08-2013, 01:43 AM

I made the switch from 50/50 to 100% meth. So I added an extra nozzle to make sure it can spray enough meth. Thank god I had that extra bung welded on when I did.

I've also spent a lot of time tuning in the past week. I like to use Virtual Dyno to help visualize and quantify any changes that I make to the tune.

Here's where the car was BEFORE installing the Aquamist system:
  • 326hp / 364tq
  • 22psi across the board
  • 11.8 AFR
  • Max timing of 13* at redline

And here's where it's at now:
  • 393hp / 385tq
  • 0.8mm+0.9mm nozzles, 100% meth
  • 22psi to 4500rpm, 26psi from 5500rpm to redline
  • 11.8 AFR (NOTE: I had to scale down the open looop mass airflow in order to achieve targeted AFR)
  • Max timing of 19.5* at redline

As far as cooling the charge air temps, here is a comparison just to illustrate how the meth is helping.

I must say that I am very pleased with the results!!!
Old 24-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Looks good.

A few questions:
1. Is the turbo sized to go beyond 400?
2. What psi were you running before and after

It appears something is limiting the power pass 5500. From the air temp plot, the system is producing more heat than the methanol can cope. Could it be the size of the turbo or something restrictive at the intake.

Overall it is very good gain (without) any hardware changes other than boost and timing. What is your next step?
Old 24-08-2013, 07:32 PM

1. 400hp is right about on the edge of that the turbo is capable of. It's a custom turbo based around a gt2871r compressor. If you look at the compressor map, I made a red line that illustrates basically how I'm running it with this tune. The way I'm pushing it at max boost and max airflow, it's operating on the edge of its efficiency range.

2. Here are the boost numbers:
  • BEFORE: 22psi
  • AFTER: 22psi to 4500rpm, 26psi from 5500rpm to redline
As far as the temp rise at the end, my guess is that the turbo is running out of breath at the top of the rpm band due to the way I'm pushing it. It's just pumping out a lot of hot air at that point. When I was running a 50/50 mix, I didn't see a temp rise at the end, probably due to the water. However, I also didn't see as large of an overall temperature drop either. Here is a graph of 50/50 vs nothing at all.

The next step will be to continue to tune. I'll probably dial the boost back a bit to keep things safer and more reliable. I've gone about as far as I want in terms of hardware, short of building the motor and replacing the clutch.
Old 25-08-2013, 03:49 PM

First I thought you have a stock turbo, anyway, you are making very nice numbers.
What gas are you running on? Is that BNR Stage3 turbo you have? If yes, it is exactly the same turbo as I have. And I am in the process of adjusting the HFS4 system right now on my Mazdaspeed6).

Last edited by paveltol; 25-08-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 26-08-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paveltol View Post
First I thought you have a stock turbo, anyway, you are making very nice numbers.
What gas are you running on? Is that BNR Stage3 turbo you have? If yes, it is exactly the same turbo as I have. And I am in the process of adjusting the HFS4 system right now on my Mazdaspeed6).
Yup, I've got a BNR S3. I'm running on 93 gas from Shell, and use VP M1 meth.

If you're in the process of adjusting things and tuning, here are some tips that might help...

- Skip using any mixture of meth/water and just use straight meth. I tried 50/50 and 70/30 mixtures, and while the bit of water helped cool the BATs, I wasn't able to advance the timing as much. It seems the MZR DISI engine loves the huge octane boost from running 100% meth. I'm up to about 20* of timing and still no knock.

- I'm using 2 nozzles, 0.8mm + 0.9mm

- I'm running the system off IDC only and looked at my datalogs to set the threshold. I wanted it to start around 5-7psi, which was about 36% IDC for me. The threshold trimmer is set at 42% at the 12 o'clock position. One tick mark to the left is 36%.
Old 26-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I am curious to know, what is the limiting factor of this engine producing higher power?
Old 26-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
I am curious to know, what is the limiting factor of this engine producing higher power?
Fueling and engine internals. There is someone out there with a custom build making over 700hp.