waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Old 25-10-2003, 12:26 AM

Default Measured intercooler effects.

Looking for feedback from users on the intercooling effect people have have measured either by measuring temperature before and at some point after the injection point or a before and after series of data.

It would actually be interesting to compare the outcomes to Eric Fahlgren's calculations here:

http://not2fast.wryday.com/thermo/wa...opt_mass.shtml

Note that an intercooler doesn't have to be present to get the effect or measure it.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 PM

Default IAC temps

i bought my setup from Brad at georges imports in Kansas City , email at brad@kcsaab.com he has really done a lot of work with these setups and has a datalogger in his saab. measured temps at turbo outlet , then after intercooler and finally ,after water jet. as i recall , temps at turbo were in the mid 200's , after intercooler they were still in the lower to mid 100's , on a 90 degree day , he measured final temp at water jet within 10 degrees of ambient temp. he was getting pretty much the same results on a supercharged gs regal. greatest reduction in temps was from the aquamist. please don't quote me on data as it's been a while since we talked. he is very knowledgable on this stuff and will answer emails on topic , perhaps he'll join our group. i currently have a unit on my 65 turbo corvair , not exactly the most efficient turbo ever made. that said , i put the jet in the outlet of the compressor and the effect is nothing short of amazing. i have an individual cylinder knock (safeguard) control ignition with an led to show when it's active. with the aquamist it just doesn't have to do much work and the turbo outlet and intake crossover pipe no longer get hot enough to burn your hands , they're alomst cool. i even run ice in the water tank for autocross events for an extra cooling effect. when i get the SDSEFI setup working , i'll take it to the local chassis dyno and post results. take care , rocco
Old 17-11-2003, 05:16 PM

I have done a little data logging. The current car is a 1991 900 turbo with a large front mount intercooler
50F day
259F turbo discharge
126F intercooler discharge
86F intake manifold temp at about 18psi
As the ambeint temperature goes up the turbo discharge temp will go up the intercooler temp will go up but I can hold the intake temp to about the same place.
Another SAAB tested
100F day
300F turbo discharge
200F intercooler discharge
110F intake manifold at 26psi
Old 16-06-2004, 03:44 AM

Hey guys, I'd like to sharre some info on my homemade WI kit....Very simple but effective.

Quick rundown-

Car = 89 Ford Mustang
Engine = low compression 306ci w/ a Vortech Strim @14 psi (non-innercooled)

I am using this temp meter :

Omega HH12

Here's the WI kit rundown-

-Hobbs switch
-Alum tank
-NOS solonoid/and paper fuel filter
-NOS Nozzle
-Various braided/teflon line, and fittings ect...

-Install:

Mounted Hobbs switch on the front of the intake manifold. Then ran the vacum signal from the Hobbs switch to the top of the Aluminum tank. Ran a line out of the bottom of the tank to the filter and then to the NOS solonoid. I wired the NOS solonoid to the Hobbs switch, and then mounted the Nozzle just before the Supercharger inlet. Very basic.

By using a vacum pump, i set the Hobbs switch to 5psi. As the Hobbs switch 'sees' 5psi the NOS solonoid opens and forces water into the blower inlet, in a linear curve. it forces in the amount of boost the manifold is seeing. so the more boost, the more water...

Datalogging: (Phx, AZ, USA: 105 degrees outside temp)

Using the Omega dual channel temp meter, i installed T1 right at the inlet of the blower and right by the water injection point. I installed T2 right at the throttle body tubing. 1st time out i had a small NOS .034 jet installed. At idle, there was a constant 35 degree difference,

T1 130
T2 165

After driving the car a bit to warm it up to temp, same thing just warmer,

T1 165
T2 190

Now for boost, I DID NOT log T1 and T2 as i was only concerned with intake temps (T2), with 14psi and 91 octane...

I made 5 verifying runs per test, just to get more info...

Under 14 psi, i saw between 243-251 degrees, respectivley. NO WATER

With the water turned on, (.034 jet) i saw temp drops in the 20 degree range. About 230-234, respectivley. Not too bad, but come on....LOL

A trip to the local parts store got me some more jets..Next up was a .044 and boy did it work..Again 5 runs with no water @ 14psi, and all were around 250 degrees...Flipped the water on, and made 5 passes to back it up....All 5 water runs were in the 180 degree range ! Thats a drop of 70 degrees.

Sweet!

I only logged 1 time and that was last weekend. I plan on a lot more tuning....Running 14psi with no cooling and crappy 91 octane is always fun...LOL

I have not taken the car to the Dyno or track, (with the water)but i will soon. My best time at the track is a 10.98 @ 128. I drive it about 2-3 times a week, and have been for over a year...

Thanks,
Miles