waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 22-02-2020, 12:32 AM

Default Direct port injection nozzle location

I’m looking to go to a direct port setup very soon and il be using 6 of the smallest flowing aqua mist nozzles and a 7th before the IAT sensor to make up the rest My target is around 450-500 crank hp

All the installs I’ve seen have the nozzles on top of the manifolds on full view but I’d like to keep it a bit more sleeper and have them underneath

Is this a problem? If so why is it a problem ?

This is on a bmw n54 straight 6

Thanks
Old 25-05-2020, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Direct port injection nozzle location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosri View Post
I’m looking to go to a direct port setup very soon and il be using 6 of the smallest flowing aqua mist nozzles and a 7th before the IAT sensor to make up the rest My target is around 450-500 crank hp

All the installs I’ve seen have the nozzles on top of the manifolds on full view but I’d like to keep it a bit more sleeper and have them underneath

Is this a problem? If so why is it a problem ?

This is on a bmw n54 straight 6

Thanks
That way you'll have to remove the intake manifold every time you need to service the nozzles.
But many N54 guys do it with a sandwich plate.
Twisted Tuning sells a good product that supports aquamist nozzles.
I also have one (tapped for aquamist nozzles) and I can sell it to you for cheap if you need it.
I figured top mount works better for me so I ended up not using it.

Here's the link for the product:
https://twistedtuning.com/collection...nt=37212447757

Let me know if you're interested.
Old 31-05-2020, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Direct port injection nozzle location

mounting the nozzles underneath leads to the spray mainly hitting the front of the inlet valves and with it uneven distribution within the cylinder.
The majority of the fluids incl. fuel enters the cylinder over the centre facing side of the intake valves and then flows in a tumbling motion filling the cylinder.
if you spray from the bottom, the majority of the water will more be found on one side of the cylinder. It needs to be evenly distributed like and together with the fuel, hence the top location.

This is same reason the fuel injectors sit on the top and not the bottom.

The spray needs to roughly follow the blue line. Air speed at full chat is so high, the spray from the bottom won’t make it to the top of the runner. The spray will hit the valve at a steep angle, partly scatter, partly evaporate and cooling metal like valve and cylinder wall, but not the gas.

Last edited by rotrex; 25-07-2020 at 09:45 PM.