waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 29-03-2004, 01:48 AM

Default Adding Water Injection to an Old Ford 7.3 Which nozzles?

Hello all.

I am considering adding water injection to my 92 Ford 7.3L IDI diesel. I have already turbo charged it and it normally sees 10psi of boost. I would like the water to come on at about 5-7 PSI.

I would like to construct my own homemade system and am having trouble finding appropriate nozzles.

Where should I get the nozzles?
What sizes should I try?
Old 29-03-2004, 05:57 AM

7.3L - maybe try one of those twisting garden hose nozzles. (Sorry dry sense of humor that I sometimes can't restrain.)

The first thing I would consider is the how much pressure and flow potential an application this size would require - then plan on a system that will have a potential at least 10% more than your requirements. From there identify the appropriate pump, pressure accumlator and routing hardware you are going to use. Lastly you can start to look for nozzles that will deliver the spec'd flow you are seeking at the pressures that your selected pump can generate.

Generally DIY sets use nozzles for oil burners if they forgo Aquamist's spec specific jets. Most will generate the desired fine spray at the pressures your pump would generate and there is a wide variety of flow rates available. Keep in mind that some of the higher flow rate nozzles may not produce as fine a mist as needed. To the extent possible consider multiple lower flow rate nozzles that will generate finer mists.

I have never used their products and can not speak to their desirability for this application but here is one example - http://spray.com/ and a google search on oil burner nozzles - http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+burner+nozzle
Old 04-04-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged Performance
7.3L - maybe try one of those twisting garden hose nozzles. (Sorry dry sense of humor that I sometimes can't restrain.)
Strange you should use that particular analogy.

Many years ago, I was visiting with a ME prof about WI. He described a project they had done with an old NA farm tractor. He summed it up as increased water = increased benefit. They stopped when the injection quantity got too scary. He said, in the end, they essentially had a garden hose shoved in the air horn.

Pat