waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 09-11-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Pre Turbo Injection Recorded Temps 2

Results from last weekend.

Things to consider, i have used a combination of one and two jets this time, placed about 14" furher back from the turbo.

Boost trigger point was lowered to about 10 or 11 psi.

The equipment will only record temps every 15 seconds :evil:

The engine bay was heat saturated at the start, (because i lost input from one of the sensors and had to start again :evil which is why the manifold temps are so high from the start point.

Temperature was 11 degrees C and there was some light rain during the session, should explain why some temps at the air filter dropped to zero :?

I started out with no WI and progressed to 0.4, 0.5, 0.4+0.5, 0.6, 0.5+0.6, 0.7, 0.6+0.7, 0.7+0.7, 0.8, 0.8+0.8, 0.9, 0.9+0.9 (i dont have pairs of 0.4,0.5 and 0.6 at present).

Old 10-11-2004, 02:17 AM

Sorry, I supposed you placed jet(s) all before the turbo? (as topic?)
Then, " 14" furher back from the turbo " means the jet(s) are just before the compressor?
I got a little confused here. ops:

I got confused about the charts too.
Averagely, it seemed the more water, the cooler the results (pre-thottle), but not so linear.

The phenomenun of "the cooler the compressor outlet, the hotter the IC outlet" still exists. But the pre-throttle temp also dropped. I guess among those bigger jet(s), there's still some water in liquid form after the compressor, even after the IC. So it kept on cooling the air down the track.

Did you sortout the WOT shrink problem?
What did you feel about these combinations?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:40 AM

Let's see what we've got here...

Best temps at turbo exit were with 0.6 + 0.9

Best temps at intercooler exit were without WI. Less offensive was the 0.4mm jet. Hmmm....

Best temps at throttle were with 0.9, twin 0.8 or twin 0.9 (lots of water then)

Another interesting figure is the temp difference between throttle and ambient - shows the overall cooling effect, after the reduced i/c efficiency is factored in:

WI off..........20-40C
0.4...............5-30C
0.5...............0-30C
0.6...............0-30C
0.7...............0-20C
0.8...............0-10C
0.9...............0-5C
0.4+0.5........0-15C
0.5 + 0.6......0-20C
0.6 + 0.7......0-15C
0.7 x2..........0-15C
0.8 x2..........less than 0-10C
0.9 x2..........less than 0-10C

So there is a distinct improvement everywhere by at least 10C.
The pattern is not clear though, being best at 0.9 and 0.9x2 but not in between. :?

Clearly this is not a comprehensive test, since it was only done at 10psi and not 13-14psi where it might have been a different story.

We also have no clue as to the total effect on power, since the extra water going in the cylinders will play a major role in lowering in-cylinder temps, perhaps even lowering EGTs to levels unacceptably low.
In an ideal world we would have these runs on a RR, where we could see the power tailing off due to excess water (and adjust accordingly)

...but for DIY datalogging it's excellent!
well done mate!

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 10-11-2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoRex
Sorry, I supposed you placed jet(s) all before the turbo? (as topic?)
Then, " 14" furher back from the turbo " means the jet(s) are just before the compressor?
I got a little confused here. ops:

I got confused about the charts too.
Averagely, it seemed the more water, the cooler the results (pre-thottle), but not so linear.

The phenomenun of "the cooler the compressor outlet, the hotter the IC outlet" still exists. But the pre-throttle temp also dropped. I guess among those bigger jet(s), there's still some water in liquid form after the compressor, even after the IC. So it kept on cooling the air down the track.

Did you sortout the WOT shrink problem?
What did you feel about these combinations?

Origonal jet position

New jet positions

Have not sorted out WOT problem, i am going to try ad check IDC this weekend.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:28 AM

After further study of all the graphs, i am 99% certain the temps at the air filter and throttle body must be back to front, human error ops:.

Ive noticed where ever theres is a spike or trough in the turbo exit temp, it is mirrored with a smaller peak and troughs in the IC exit temp, but also the air filter inlet temp, but not at the throttle temp:? Cant be right :!:

The graphs would make much more sense if they were reversed.

I did have a problem on the first attempt and may have mixed up the sesors on the recording equipment, it was dark ops:

I will remove graphs and update, if every one agrees
Old 11-11-2004, 05:11 AM

After further study of all the graphs, i am 99% certain the temps at the air filter and throttle body must be back to front, human error

If this is so then how do you explain an air filter temperature of as high as 60C on a day when the ambient is 11C :shock:
Old 11-11-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marck_c
After further study of all the graphs, i am 99% certain the temps at the air filter and throttle body must be back to front, human error

If this is so then how do you explain an air filter temperature of as high as 60C on a day when the ambient is 11C :shock:
Heat saturation in the enbine bay, the car had been sat for 15 mins after my first run at recdording temps (35 minutes of boost runs), which i had to abandon because i lost input from one of the thermocouples.

The temp continues to decline until it settles at near ambient at the end of the session.

Also in my previous recording session the manifold temps were for the majority of the time lower than ambient. I know ive moved the jet location, but ive injected at lower boost - more water and used two jets - more water, which should see the manifold temps even lower.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 PM

Interesting to note that the coolest temperatures after the intercooler occurred with the WI off, and that was despite some of the highest turbo exit temps.

Methinks according to this that pre-turbo WI takes away from intercooler efficiency a lot more than one would otherwise think.

Adrian~
Old 11-11-2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabTuner
Interesting to note that the coolest temperatures after the intercooler occurred with the WI off, and that was despite some of the highest turbo exit temps.

Methinks according to this that pre-turbo WI takes away from intercooler efficiency a lot more than one would otherwise think.

Adrian~
Could it be that the inner surface of the IC gets soaked with some of the unevaporarted water, reducing it efficiency to conduct heat to the external ambient temp air, compounding the reduced efficiency effects of lower turbo exit temps ?

More evidence to support removing the IC completely with pre turbo WI
Old 11-11-2004, 05:25 PM

If I had to pick one line to represent ambient (well, airbox!) for all of these graphs, it would have to be the blue one.
Not perfect, but looks less weird than the others.
Except if the mixup happened halfway through the tests. Could that happen?

By the way, that 90degree bend on the high pressure line, is it sold from Aquamist?
Not that I don't find it a bit harsh, I always favour smooth, open turns.

John

www.max-boost.co.uk