waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 08-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Default Mixing my own WM50 - questions....

Finally, I found a local source for 100% methanol in 5 gallon containers.

I have a couple of questions about mixing it up...

What is the best thing to use for a blue dye? Is food coloring from the supermarket a bad idea?

With respect to mixing 50/50, I have read that folks do it by weight but I am not sure why and I may be confused on the matter.

Would I still get a 50/50 mixture if I used separate mixing containers that were one gallon each by volume (assume two identical containers)? What I have also come to understand is that a gallon of water or methanol is still a gallon by volume until you mix them in one container. In other words, I can take one gallon jug of methanol and pour it into a two gallon container and then pour a gallon of pure water into the same two gallon container and still get WM50. The two gallon container will not be full (as if by magic) but the contents will be 50/50 Is this correct? What I understood is that when you mix water and alcohol that the molecules fit together more compactly and that is why you get less volume *once mixed*.

Hoping to avoid actually weighing the mix before or after and looking for the easiest way to mix up a batch of 50/50.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Mixing my own WM50 - questions....

The main issue is that the density of Methanol is only 80% of that of water.
To get to the recommended 50:50 mix, you need to mix 1kg of methanol with 1kg of water or 1 gallon of methanol to 0.8 gallons of water or 5 gallons of methanol to 4 gallons of water.