waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > General Effects

Old 09-03-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Don't get it!

Hope you guys can help me with this waterinjection stuff, coz I have trouble understanding it.

First of all im curious if this can be used both with non charged cars, as well as those with turbo etc.

What would the perfomance be on a non turbocharged car compared to a turbocharged?

Is waterinjection usable for street purposes? Or is it serious / amatuer race only?

Hope you can help me with this.

Best regards,
Peter
Old 09-03-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Just the basics

If you haven't checked it out yet, you ought to go take a look at the detailed write up on water injection on the main page of this site. Most of you questions will likely be answered.

http://waterinjection.info/

The short answer to your question is yes, WI can be used on both NA engines and Forced Induction engines. It is most effective in situations were the engine is limited by knock at high power outputs. This usually means it is most applicable to high performance high compression ratio NA engines, or moderate compression ratio engines that are prone to detonation due to design or method of use. (ie. towing up hills etc.) and almost always beneficial on supercharged/turbocharged high performance engines.

Larry
Old 10-03-2004, 12:24 AM

^ - What he said. I know that the paper that I wrote focuses a lot and maybe too much on forced induction applications (it is where supplemental injection is desperately needed given how fuel rich some systems are being forced to run). However, I was using on high compression engines well before I succumbed to the easy power of forced induction. The in-cylinder necessity and effects of water injection are almost identical for a forced induction or high compression normally aspirated application.

As hotrod was saying the key to whether or not water injection will benefit you is whether or not your tune or performance is being limited by detonation. If you are having to run overly rich fuel mixtures or overly retarded timing advance you would likely benefit from the technology.

If you want a hybrid fueled system - you don't have to be detonation limited to use an alcohol or propane injection system.

In either case you would want a way to control your gasoline fueling to adapt it to any supplemental injection you consider.