waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Default Mounting the FAV

I have recently installed the HFS-3 system on a customer's USDM 2004 STi and we are having some issues getting it operational on the dyno.

We went through the entire setup procedure and have confirmed that everything seems to be working individually, but we cant seem to get the pump to activate during boost.

I currently have the FAV mounted on rubber stand-offs and am wondering if I should add a ground strap to the mounting bracket so it can see a chassis ground. There is nothing in the instructions as to whether this can be an issue or not.

If there are any details that I have omitted that people may find helpful, please let me know.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: Mounting the FAV

Is the green F-IDC flashing with the FI pulse?

Is the yellow THRES light coming on at all?

Did you put the system in test (SYS jumper) with the jet out of the system to check that everything is operational?

Make sure both grounds from the control board are both grounded well.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howerton Engineering View Post
Is the green F-IDC flashing with the FI pulse?
Yes, then green LED flashes with IDC. The speed in which is flashes increases with RPM as well, its appears to be working.

Quote:

Is the yellow THRES light coming on at all?
Yes.

Quote:
Did you put the system in test (SYS jumper) with the jet out of the system to check that everything is operational?
Yes. I've gone through the setup procedures a few times trying to figure this out. As mentioned above, everything seems to work when tested individually. But nothing seems to happen when on the dyon under boost.

Quote:
Make sure both grounds from the control board are both grounded well.

They are, they are haring a factory ground point and run separately until they get to that point, and then they are connected to the same lug. I've confirmed .01ohms to chassis ground.

Another thing Ive noticed is that the ether net-style connectors don't really seem to have very good connections to the box. They all sit pretty loosely in their respective inlets. I think I may have sorted that issue by putting very small pieces of foam tape under the clips, so that the wires have a firm contact to the box. But I thought that I'd mention it as being an issue that other people may have had to deal with.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Howerton Engineering

If you put the system it test and everything sprays, then it should work in driving conditions if the grey harness is connected right and the yellow THRES light is coming on, on the control board.

You say you tested individually, but have you put the entire system in test (SYS jumper)? This fires the entire system at full spray. If this works then it would be narrowed down to the grey cable connections.

Are all the jumpers on the board still in the factory defaults? Is the gauge turned on? Are the adjustment pots still int he factory defaults?

I ask because you say boost but the HFS-3 by default is primarily IDC only.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Admittedly, I still dont fully understand how this system works. My tuner is helping me a lot with the diag on this system, I've linked him to this thread. He only had this to add to this point:

" I can turn the thresh knob down and even when
exceeding the IDC threshold the unit will begin to inject and then
immediately stop. The B light comes on briefly during all of this."

This is why I was asking the original question of: Does the FAV need to to be externally grounded? Would having it mounted on rubber standoffs effect its opperation?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Howerton Engineering

It sounds like the gauge trimmers have not been adjusted correctly and you are tripping the failsafe. With the system in test and spraying 100%, the SC should be set so 5 or 6 of the 8 bars are lit. Then turn the WL full left(CCW) and WH full right (CW) and try again. You can also turn the failsafe delay to maximum delay. This should get the system started then you need to adjust each individually from there, either before or after your dyno tuning are done..

The system should still be spraying while a failsafe event occurs. The pump should still be running and system injecting. Check the wideband to confirm this.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks a ton for all the responses you gave. I really appreciate it.

We just finished the car. It appears that the connectors going into the box may have been the issue. They were snapped in, but still seemed a bit loose, once we were able to get them secured more firmly into the box, the kit began working flawlessly.

I'd also like to thank Richard for his phone call regarding this issue. Richard, You are a Gentleman and a Scholar, and I appreciate all your help.

The car ended up making 380whp and roughly the same torque. We just took it for a test drive and it spins the tires in 4th gear. My customer will be very happy.

Thanks again guys!

Nick
Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

I did notice some of the gauge/grey plugs require modification by lifting the latching tab with a flat blade screw driver. I have notice the supplier and hope they will supply us with an alternative manufacturer.

The result of the dyno is very good, the torque level is also impressive. If you have taken some picture of the installation, please post some.

Sorry I did catch the post earlier.
Old 13-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
I did notice some of the gauge/grey plugs require modification by lifting the latching tab with a flat blade screw driver. I have notice the supplier and hope they will supply us with an alternative manufacturer.

The result of the dyno is very good, the torque level is also impressive. If you have taken some picture of the installation, please post some.

Sorry I did catch the post earlier.

Thanks again Richard!

Unfortunately I forgot to take any pictures, but the car belongs to a very good customer, so I know we will be seeing the car again soon. When I do, Ill be sure to snap some pics of the install. Actually, Ill be servicing it at a Hillclimb in about 10 days, I'll take some pics then.
Old 13-05-2010, 10:17 PM

My customer came back in today to let me know how happy he is with the car! I was able to snap a couple pics of the install.

I didn't have time to take the kick panel off to show the wiring though.

Sorry about the size of the picture.