waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Old 18-11-2010, 02:18 AM

Default EVO intercooler spray

Evo's come with a stock ICS feature that " mists " ( more like dribbles ) water on the outside of the intercooler core to help lower temps. it does work pretty well in our hot summer but I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to actually use a .3mm jet on it and tap it in to the hot side of the intercooler piping to cool down the intercooler core.

I made up an water tank for it, but thought I should check before running it. It's only a very small pump that powers it and i seriously doubt much more than a few small drops could make it's way through the core and in to the throttle ??

I am allready running a HFS3

Old 22-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: EVO intercooler spray

That's a very nice looking tank. You can put the jet in the hot side of the IC, but you will have to add that amount of water in you calculations for injected fluid into the engine.

If you spray a very fine mist on the outside of the IC, and you only have to do this on the first portion of the IC, it can be very effective.

If you are using a washer pump to pressurize the .3mm jet, test fire it and make sure you are getting good atomization(depends on the pump pressure) for either way you decide to run the jet.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:46 AM

I have three 3mm nozzels spraying onto my intercooler externally and can not detect any difference. Would there not be a concern with condensation if you inject internally pre-intercooler?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Howerton Engineering

We would need to look at the situation to know the effectiveness. We need to know temp in and out of the IC core, both with the without the water spray.

If you live in a humid climate, and have a large IC, then the effectiveness will not be as high shooting water on the outside. If you have an undersized or heatsoaking IC, and lower relative humidity, a little water is very effective. For normal street driving with a larger IC, the results are not as dramatic.

You can inject into the plumbing on the hot side of the IC, but again, it depends on the heat load.

Data is the key to knowing what will be effective and what mat be marginal.