waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Default MP62 + 14GPH Nozzle?

This is my first post however I have been running a water/meth kit for a year now on my K24 (2.4liter) MP62 Jackson Racing Super Charged Integra. We have full standalone engine management to control activation, IGN, AFR, etc, so tuning is accounted for. I currently sit at 300whp and average around 7.5psi, OFF spray I have seen CDT's get as high as 190?F on my 'low boost' level compared to others.

I and several others until recently have been running 5GPH 315cc/min nozzles & 50/50 water/meth mix with hardly any power gains or drops in IAT's to show for it. Recently we have been advised to run a 14GPH nozzle and to our surprise they are seeing huge gains and CDT's around 100?F at over 14psi/17k RPM from the blower!

I am about to jump on the new band wagon and go with the 14gph nozzle as well before I throw on an insanely small pulley. Hardly anyone that I have seen online is running such a large nozzle on similar setups and this makes me wonder if there is finally a downside to so much spray. A friend of mine brought up the issue of possible oil contamination and this is pretty much my only concern that I can think of.

Yes, I realize that this goes against 99% of suggestions and w/m nozzle calculators online which are NOT taking into account we are spraying before the blower and the temps that we are dealing with. I KNOW that 5gph is too little this is not an issue.

The mixture is obviously doing a great job at cooling and boosting octane, are my concerns valid?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:08 PM

Also I just thought of this...

What/when should my activation be?

Currently it is this on 5gph:
Minimum of..
RPM: 3000 - Redline (8k)
PSI: 4
TPS: 79%+
Speed: 12mph

Maximum of..
20 Knock
Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

What is your fuel injector size?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 PM

My fuel injectors are 650cc at maxload around 65% duty cycle. I've seen the calculations for the water meth nozzles but they don't take into account the supercharger etc.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NtegraDryvr
My fuel injectors are 650cc at maxload around 65% duty cycle. I've seen the calculations for the water meth nozzles but they don't take into account the supercharger etc.
Well, you want to run your water/meth as a % of your fuel, which shouldn't matter if you're running a supercharger or not.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 PM

Sorry having a hard time explaining what I'm asking or thinking rather.

Obviously 5gph isn't enough since the gains we are seeing from 14gph are huge. We tested 7gph, 10gph, and finally 14gph where we had the best results. According to all the calculators out there that take injector size, power, etc we should be running something more like a 5gph. Make sense?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

I am trying to gauge exactly what you water to fuel ratio, it will give me some idea of your set up. Please be patient with me.

I still have a few questions:

- Your maximum fuel flow capacty is 2600cc/min, your maximum is DC 65%. Is this flow a maximum at overall (1690cc/min)?
- You injection system, is it progressive with boost or an "all on" and "all off" system?
- What is the maximum line pressure of the water injection system?
- What water pump is used? (some pump will loose line pressure at 14gph)

With above information, I can estimate more accurately what the 14gph is actually flowing.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 AM

- Your maximum fuel flow capacty is 2600cc/min, your maximum is DC 65%. Is this flow a maximum at overall (1690cc/min)?
Sorry, not sure I follow you on this one? 65% duty cycle is at redline without any water meth injection.

- You injection system, is it progressive with boost or an "all on" and "all off" system?
All on

- What is the maximum line pressure of the water injection system?
I assume 150psi with a check valve at the end

- What water pump is used? (some pump will loose line pressure at 14gph)
Pump:
Snow Performance Shurflo
Model: 8030-841-239
12VDC - 150PSI

Snow Performance Nozzles:
Purple - 225 cc/min <- Installed (Flow Tested at 315 cc/min - 5GPH)
Red - 375 cc/min <- Have (Flow Tested at 475 cc/min - 7.53GPH)
Blue - 625 cc/min <- Have (Flow Tested at 600 cc/min - 9.52GPH)

Here is what I am flowing when I flow tested my current nozzles. I have bypassed the cycle switch on the top of the pump, it is either full on or OFF and is controlled by my ECU and spray is constant and does not have the sneezing effect that it used to with the switch that is on the pump. I do not have a 14gph nozzle just yet.

On the 5gph nozzle I was spraying at 3k rpm, 4psi, and 79% TPS
Fuel was pulled across the range and 3?ign was added from 3k - 7500rpm

Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 AM

Well forum is obviously screwed up, had to make a new user.

I posted pics of my water/meth parameters above and what kind of flexibility I have with the system from my ECU.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Your results mirror exactly what I have experienced. It was recommended that I try a 5gph first then an 8. This was using a 50/50 mix. I then tried a 15gph with 100% meth and made drastic improvements to my 1/4mi times/et. I then went to a dual nozzle setup with a 15 and a 10 installed. I currently have dual 15gph nozzles installed and hope to drop my et well into the 10's. I'll stop adding methanol when I stop seeing improvements. My system is a diy progressive controller with a 8000 series shurflo @ 100psi.