waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > In Cylinder Effects

Old 17-02-2004, 04:21 AM

well i like the eclipse idea i'll check it out ..but for those that like style check these babies out from MRT

nice ..!
All i would need is an area to pack some dry ice around the base of this container so as to get the chilled water effect!!
Hugh Gordon
Old 17-02-2004, 05:17 AM

Be careful not to freeze the water mixture or fatigue the tank materials.

Please put the outlet facing backwards - you are more likely to be engaging water injection while accelerating than decelerating.

Add an electric level sensor.

Fortunately Impreza models can use the 12L RA spec C with pump and level sensor built in that tucks in nicely along the rear seat back.
Old 20-02-2004, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged Performance
Fortunately Impreza models can use the 12L RA spec C with pump and level sensor built in that tucks in nicely along the rear seat back.
The IC spray tank as used on the '04 STI is another neat, hidden in the trunk, solution for the Impreza.
Old 20-02-2004, 02:06 PM

And a perfect solution with a built in level warning and a pump that primes the Aquamist perfectly and improves its piston pump flow potential quite a bit.
Old 15-09-2004, 10:31 PM

Looking at this from the other direction, how much cooling do you lose if the injected water has been heated up from being stored in the engine bay? I'm guessing that the main cooling effects come from latent heat of evaporation rather than straight forward heat capacity, does this mean the temperature of the water isn't critical?
Old 15-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

It is an interesting topic. We have some industrial customer heats up the water to 99.9 degC before injection, so the evaporation is almost instant there by producing a fully humidify air very quickly for the fuelcell reactor. I am not sure if there are any cooling effect. Almost injecting liquid steam.

On the other end of the scale, cool your water to sub-zero temperature by adding some methanol (-90C freezing point), If you store this mixture in a thermos, it should have a dramatic cooling effect when the atomised mixture meets the air. It should be similar to surfing closely behind a snow making machine at 100mph (imagine you are the incoming air travelling towards the spray jet).

Old 15-09-2004, 11:13 PM

Default hot water spray mist

I've also seen that, one of the overspray systems uses the same technique to achive extremely fine spray mist, as the hot water flash boils as the pressure drops as it exits the spray nozzle. As I recall at the point about 20% of the spray mass flow evaporates it completely negates the pre-heating of the liquid, (ie the mist dropplets have cooled to ambient temp).

Larry
Old 16-09-2004, 12:03 AM

Water does have a very high latent heat. You'd just trade some of its specific heat for some of its latent heat.

In terms of detonation resistance I think it's a bad idea. It will all be vaporized before the detonation occurs and I think that sacrificing some of the specific heat (cooling) to vaporize it more quickly would be a poor trade-off.

In terms of outright power, you want to get as much heat out of the air as possible before it crosses your intake ports to the cyllinder. Any cooling effect after the intake ports will be less effective in increasing the overal mass of air entering the engine. This would be because there is already a critical pressure drop across the intake ducts and any futher pressure drop in the cyllinder would require more camshaft or porting to increase flow into the cyllinder significantly.

Adrian~
Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I forgot to mention, our industrial cutomer is in the fuelcell business. In order to gain efficiency of the power conversion, air has to be 100% humidified to accelerate the hydrogen/oxygen reaction between the membrane layer.

There will be evaporation and some cooling but overcooling reactor will rob power. It is a delicate balance to maintain best output power.
Old 21-10-2004, 02:51 AM

I'll share my notes....(I am by no means a water pro)....LOL

I have only used water. No mixtures as of yet...

The 1 day i tested it was 105* F. The water in my tank was about 135* F. On a forced induction motor @14psi i lowered the intake temps 70* F. From 250* F to 180*.....

I inject my water into my blower, to atomize it. So even if it was cold water, it would be heated up by the time it was compressed through the blower....So i havent ever tried that...