waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 28-05-2004, 07:04 AM

Default Antifreeze in the injection mixture?

this past winter it was so cold that even a 50/50 methanol mixture, while not freezing in the tank, Would freeze in the 4mm lines.

Any point in adding, say, about 10-20% of that mixture as conventional Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze? How would it impact the performance of the system, and, how would it impact the pump?
'99 White M3; < 69K miles; Dinan SC kit with 6" RMS crank pulley and water/air Aftercooler: 11 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 ftlbs; Custom Tuning by Nick G; AA Aquamist Water/Methanol Injection and AA exhaust; Fikse FM-10s;
Old 11-06-2004, 10:59 PM

I don't think I would. If it is cold enough to freeze the lines with 50/50 probably can just disable the water injection during those times. Also by the time the car is warmed up during those cold temps haven't the lines thawed or was the nylon hose breaking?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:49 PM

>> don't think I would. If it is cold enough to freeze the lines with 50/50 probably can just disable the water injection during those times. Also by the time the car is warmed up during those cold temps haven't the lines thawed or was the nylon hose breaking<<

Thanks for your comment. Sure, Id have no problem fusing the WI off in temps that cold.. But I was just afraid of the lines expanding and cracking with the ice in them.. I guess the 4mm nylon hose just isnt thick enough to hold enough alky to prevent cooling, or something. I dont know. it was pretty strange seeing the 40-50% meth mixture freezing in those lines, although in the tank, it was fine. I was afraid that, in the pump, also, any of the mixture might freeze, and crack vital internals or something. Nothing had actually broken; it was just the ice in the 4mm hose that got me scared of what might be!
'99 White M3; < 69K miles; Dinan SC kit with 6" RMS crank pulley and water/air Aftercooler: 11 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 ftlbs; Custom Tuning by Nick G; AA Aquamist Water/Methanol Injection and AA exhaust; Fikse FM-10s;
Old 26-06-2004, 03:31 AM

I do appreciate your issue and don't disagree that a solution would be nice to find. I just couldn't tell you what anti-freeze would or would not do in an engine which would be why I wouldn't be hot on trying it.

Best guess the alky is seperating from the water in the line, permitting it to freeze and yes the expansion could be a concern, I don't know how much flex the lines can take.
Old 29-09-2005, 04:33 PM

if you have an oxygen sensor in your system and you use antifreeze in your WI mix you will degrade the performance of your o2 sensor very quickly
Old 28-04-2006, 08:50 PM

I don't think antifreeze would be good for an engine. I had an engine lock up from antifreeze in the oil. I would be afraid to try it in the WI injection.