waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Old 26-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

I was wondering if you were running water/methanol?

Water can only cool up to a point when air is fully saturated at a gievn temperture and wetness. Adding methanol will aid the cooling capacity in the same operating range.

Water is better employed for in-cylinder cooling. I suggest tryng (if you not done it already) by adding methanol and make the same run and see if you can improve your track time, before reverting back to intercooler + port injection.

Richard
Old 26-06-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple
This was I good test and usefull info! WI been known to do it's best by det. supression not by intercooling. So, some intercooling takes place, but it is limited to ambient condition and set up specs.
Agreed :wink: Too me the car was performing like it had a heat soaked TMIC would on a hot day... So it was doing it's job but no where near effective enough.. I was running 75/25 water to iso mix...
Old 26-06-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrex180
Ok car was just run at the Strip and............. it run pretty ordinary well it was launching really good and the 60fts were in the low 1.8's and leaving rival cars doing catch up but half track onwards it wasn't producing the power and other cars( mainly 1's running low 12's) would pull about 4-5 lengths on me by the end and the best it run was 13.3 @ 98 mph i got better running a smaller turbo and the intercooler... So my experment is over :cry: the intercooler will be going back on and upgraded later but i won't touch the WI the knock resistance is incredible running port injection..

how much more timming and/or boost, (if any)were you able to run with the port injection ? over none or normal water injection?
I never actually added any or never had the car tuned to suit as i didn't have time all i can go by is the knock activity on the Knocklink which appeared to be virtually not existant compared to how i had it set up orginally..
Old 14-07-2006, 02:40 PM

Been doing myself some logging and seeing what the differences are : the 2 screen shots below(sorry they are hard to see) which form one complete page are of 2 logs one overlayed one top of the other, the red trace is WI activated and the green trace is no WI. The runs were done rolling in 2nd gear at 40kph then start logging and flooring it.

I havent had a tune yet but to me it appears the motor is being bogged down but not enough to keep the car accelerating at the same speed which is interesting.. Also i run a piggy back ECU so the ignition and boost values won't be truly correct as i'm only pulling data from the stock ecu. Oh and the car is running the intercooler again..

Old 15-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Great log, I wonder if you would now tune the engine to run with water, playing with ignition and fueling. Iso-p is not good for knock suppresison nor octane boosting, I read this informative link:

http://enginehistory.org/Frank%20WalkerWeb1.pdf

Richard
Old 16-07-2006, 11:24 AM

Running 100% water at the moment, i have got a FMIC coming soon and some other pieces then it will go for a tune hopefully :roll: Interesting read too about the isopropyl and how it didn't perform real well compared to the other 2 alcohol's just due due to it's explosive limit's.
Isopropyl - LEL of 2% UEL 12.7%
Methanol - LEL of 6% UEL 36.5%