waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 13-05-2004, 09:37 PM

Okay, here are some of the relevant parameters.

Engine: Stock WRX 2.0L
Turbo: SR30
Intercooler: Stock
Water injection point: ~5psi

Hotrod, your comment about the sweet spot got met thinking, so I went back and checked the compressor map that I have. Sure enough, at higher rpms, the turbo is running at a lower efficiency, so I lowered boost from ~17.5 to 16psi from 5500 and up. My max boost is about 18psi in the 4000-5000 rpm range.

I just made the change this morning, so I'll drive it a little and see how things have changed. I'll also post a log.
Old 19-07-2004, 01:00 AM

Any update on this?
Old 17-08-2004, 09:17 AM

This thread brings an interesting question to mind.

Why don't more upgrade packages include items to raise the effective EGT limit?

I constantly see upgraded engines designed to "flow more", or to be "stronger" ... but EGT is one of the hugest limitations to engine performance. Why not and engine that can "take higher temperatures"?

There are probably one or two upgraded engine packages sporting Inconel or Nimonic exhaust valves. (Or maybe Hastalloy, or Waspalloy, those are awesome.) But you just don't see that sort of thing happening much. The only changes I usually see are Inconel turbines, Inconel wastegate valves, and occasionally ceramic coated exhaust valves. Usually though, people market ceramic coatings as reducing under-hood temps. Oh well.

Sorry for the OT. I just see so many people fighting this "wall" so to speak. 1600 is NOT a finite limit. That barrier can be moved, and it might be cheaper to move it than to lower your EGT.

Adrian~