waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Sponsors' Forums > ERL/Aquamist

Old 05-05-2012, 01:29 PM
General MemberSite AdminModeratorAffiliatedContributing MemberVendor SponsorManufacturer Sponsor

Default Installation advice?

As per this thread does anyone have advice for me? - Even if it's just a bit of reassurance along the lines of; "that'll be fine." or "what ever you do, don't do that".

I'll run through what I've got and where I think I'm going so there's no need to read the other thread:
  • I've got an old(er) Aquamist 1S system. - Probably one from a group buy on GTiROC because there are a few of them around.
  • My back-of-the-envelope jetting calculation is 0.8-0.9mm @100psi (it's the older pump, so not 160psi).
  • I think I've already got 1x0.6mm jet that came with it, but maybe not the required fitting(s) for my pipework.
  • I think I need new hoses because the ones I've got a pretty rigid; is that a sensible decision?
  • Am I best buying one larger jet and installing it immediately after the intercooler...
  • ...or am I better off buying a second, smaller, jet and installing that before the turbo so that I get improved efficiency without overloading it and damaging the wheel (plus installing the one I've already got after the intercooler)?
  • How do I order the parts I think I need in the UK (just PM Richard L?). - None of the UK suppliers listed have any Aquamist parts on their websites, and it seems silly to be ordering from the US.

There are a couple of other logistical issues, like where I can put the pump and reservoir, but that's fairly minor in the overall scheme.

I'm not able to remap with my standard ECU, so I don't want to overload the fuelling, but it also occurs to me that this is a way to increase the fuelling if I did go off the standard map.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Manufacturer sponsor
Site AdminModeratorAffiliatedContributing MemberVendor SponsorManufacturer Sponsor

Default Re: Installation advice?

Rule of thumb for the 1s system

Tank, pump, battery has to be quite close to each other. Extended jet runs may require a check valve close to the sparay jet.

The 1s system was designed to be placed near in the engine bay where tank, battery, pump and spray jet are close to each other.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM
General MemberSite AdminModeratorAffiliatedContributing MemberVendor SponsorManufacturer Sponsor

Thanks Richard.

In that case I'll try to mount the pump in the space next to my battery tray; I was already thinking about purchasing one of those washer bottle bags for space as much as anything, but I think it could work quite well at preventing surge and ensuing the pump always gets a steady feed.

How far is classed as "extended"? - The intercooler pipe work comes right past the battery, and I'd estimate the compressor is 50cm from that.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Manufacturer sponsor
Site AdminModeratorAffiliatedContributing MemberVendor SponsorManufacturer Sponsor

The length betweem the pump and jet should be less than 1 meter.
Old 18-05-2012, 09:33 PM

I haven't quite got to mounting it all up and fitting the jets yet; I think I've got another couple of questions first:
  • If I'm going to fit a jet before the turbo, how close should it be; is there a rule of thumb?
  • What about the post-intercooler jet; I see I can get fitting kits for the silicone hose joiners. Is that a sensible place to put the jet? I like the idea of being able to put a new length in if I bollox-up the install.
  • Finally, should I be setting the solenoid to activate the pump right at the peak of the boost, or is it better to feed it in a little earlier if I also want to make use of improving compressor efficiency? - As an example, if I peak at 1.2bar, is 0.5bar a sensible place to start the injection; that means no water usage when cruising or pottering around town, but it definitely comes-on when I open the taps.

I need to pull my finger out because I was looking to have it on the rolling road soon, and I'd love to see the effect of the Aquamist on the curves.
Old 21-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

1) I cannot answer your first question as I don't know your turbo we always recommend as closely as possible in the centre, pointing it the compressor nut.

2) Again, not sure how your system is set up. You asked a detail querstion withoiut giving eniough details.

3) Answer is th esame as 2).

All those questions are very specific to your set up. There are no particular rules.
Old 22-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Thanks - Having read the thread about it, it seems that you don't really recommend the Aquamist for pre-turbo use? However, it seems that feeding in the water before peak boost is the best way to make use of pre-turbo injection.

The turbo is a Garrett TB2804 (so the standard GTi-R unit; journal bearings on the core, 60mm compressor with 0.60A/R, 53mm turbine with 0.86A/R, currently making ~1.2bar). - It doesn't have a bell mouth on it, so I was thinking about installing the jet further away; probably in the outer radius of one of the bends between the AFM and the turbo.

WRT the intercooler, here is a shot of the run between the plenum and the intercooler.

Obviously there's another silicone joiner just out of shot (likewise the turbo is just out of shot, but you can see the join with the run to the AFM). - I'm not sure it would be as easy to install a jet in that as I first thought it would; maybe the metal pipework would be better after all?

I don't know if this slightly more current shot helps at all:

Mainly I figured that by putting the pump at the front near the battery I could make the pipe runs as short as possible (as per your advice at the top of this thread).
Old 22-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Much better!

Is the water tank nearby also?