waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 11-03-2006, 02:53 AM

Default Looking to go W/I...need some advice

Hi guys...new to the forums. Just looking for some recomendations from you guys that are pretty educated in the W/I area. I have owned many turbo/supercharged vehicles in the past but never went the route of W/I. I have been doing some research on W/I lately and think this is where I should be headed.
The car I wanna run w/i with is a Scion tC with a Vortech F trim centrifigul supercharger non intercooled setup put out by TRD. I have a full header back exhaust, K&N custom modified intake, Forge 007 diverter valve and am running a Non Stop Tuning 9.5 psi pulley. The kit came with a ECU reflash, but I just got a custom tuned Unichip for my setup. Right now I am pushing about 245whp which is not bad for the 143 whp the Scion tC puts out stock. Its a quick lil animal. Now my main concern is obviously to prevent knock and detination. The pistons in these cars are weak, with the ringlands to be the first thing to go on them. The rods could be better, but thats a different story entirely. The way the blower is setup in the engine bay it is extremely inefficient to run a FMIC due to the long piping and major pressure drop. Nobody makes a water/air barrel or a top mount either yet so Im basically left to exploring W/I. I will be using the Unichip to control the W/I system via TPS, makes a lil more sense for my centrifigul blower...if it was a turbo I would go by boost pressure. Can someone point me in the direction to find the right sized kit for my application and maybe show me some of the disadvantages of doing W/I
Smithtownscion.com
Old 15-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

WI will help in two ways. At wide throttle, the compressed air raises cylinder pressure and promotes detonation.
When you are cruising at mid to high speed with light throttle, the SC speed is very high so the case temperature is also very high due small amount of air to cool the casing and rotor blades.

If water is allow to reduce some of the incylinder cooling as well as inlet cooling, the entire setup will be less stressful.

I believe a small amount of water be injected during light throttle/off boost cruise will also help.

Richard
Old 15-03-2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
WI will help in two ways. At wide throttle, the compressed air raises cylinder pressure and promotes detonation.
When you are cruising at mid to high speed with light throttle, the SC speed is very high so the case temperature is also very high due small amount of air to cool the casing and rotor blades.

If water is allow to reduce some of the incylinder cooling as well as inlet cooling, the entire setup will be less stressful.

I believe a small amount of water be injected during light throttle/off boost cruise will also help.

Richard
Hey I appreciate the response. I completely understand the basics of what a W/I setup would do for me, but Im looking more for something like some of the disadvantages of using W/I such as parts failure, safety cutoffs and so forth. Basically, Im just looking to use the W/I as a safety precaution. I have 2 preloaded maps in the Unichip, I wanted to use the A map without water injection, and I want to use the B map with the W/I to control the adverse affects of the advanced timing. Im just trying to kill any chance of pre ignition and detonation/knock. Is it a pain in the butt to tune the car with the W/I or is it the same as say when you add an intercooler and you can tune for a little bit more timing and lean out the a/f ratios to where you want them to be because of the cooler charge temps?
Smithtownscion.com
Old 15-03-2006, 01:24 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

The Unichip can switch ignition map quite easily via an input pin.

We have two choices on the aquamist set up, a System1s+DDS3 iror a system2d. The failsafe output can do the map switch auromatically.

If you going into the aquamist section of this forum, DDS3 is right at the top. Or you can download the DDS3 manual from:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/press/DDS3-v3-web3.pdf

If like to post to the aquamist specific section, I visit there every day.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyscion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L

Richard
Hey I appreciate the response. I completely understand the basics of what a W/I setup would do for me, but Im looking more for something like some of the disadvantages of using W/I such as parts failure, safety cutoffs and so forth. Basically, Im just looking to use the W/I as a safety precaution. I have 2 preloaded maps in the Unichip, I wanted to use the A map without water injection, and I want to use the B map with the W/I to control the adverse affects of the advanced timing. Im just trying to kill any chance of pre ignition and detonation/knock. Is it a pain in the butt to tune the car with the W/I or is it the same as say when you add an intercooler and you can tune for a little bit more timing and lean out the a/f ratios to where you want them to be because of the cooler charge temps?