PDA

View Full Version : My cordia turbo, Methanol injection. Im new every 1.

Rogercordia
29-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Basically i have a methanol/water injection kit, it consists of

150psi pump
pressure switch
Solenoid injector
And just special tubing
Since my red cordia is out of action for now i have decided to install and test out this injection system on my white cordia turbo, I recently un intercooled my white gsr because i was intending to install this kit, cos with methanol injection your engine doesnt need to be intercooled anymore cos the methanol which im gonna inject with, will make the air alot colder than any Intercooler would ever manage.

Ok what i did today was dummy fit the kit to my 1.8 cordia, i installed the mechanical side of the kit yesterday and continued with the wiring aspect of it today. I have since tested the operration of the kit and it works very good. What i did was i placed the injector nozzle between my windscreen and the wiper, i placed it so it will stay still whilst i see it spraying while on boost.

What i have to do is adjust the pressure switch to were i want the injecting to commence, so far i decided to inject the mixture at 15psi, it took me a few tries to know how much to adjust the pressure switch but it now comes exactly were i want it to be. Tommorow i will install the injector nozzle to my intake system and try out the full operation of the methanol injection system, and ill test it out and see the big diffrences.

I will be testing my white cordia at the drags , cos i know for sure ill be able to do 13 seconds, currently my best time so far is 14.132 seconds so im not gonna stop till i hit 13 seconds, its gona be only a matter of time till it does, remember my red cordia, it started with only 14.4 than 13.9 than 13.7 so you can see my times will go alot lower, that goes to both cordia's.

I will make a appearance at the wsid on the 31.5.06 to test out this installation. Mind you these are the specs of my white gsr NOW-

Factoty front suspension
No intercooler
No Blow off valve
2.5 inch dump pipe and my better 2.5 inch zorst system
Lowerd rears
70/30 mixture- 70-methanol, 30- water
I made a quick video driving and testing the spray on the nozzle, i want it to spray exactly were i want it to.

http://media.putfile.com/Methanol-injection-testing
Thats about it, so ill let youse know as soon as i finish racing, Im gonna learn everything there is to know about this setup till i put it in my red cordia.

I have since fully fitted the injection system in my white cordia today, i have the nozzel directly infront of my turbo compressor wheel.

My gosh it really makes a diffrence, ok ill explain to those that dont know anything about cordia's boosting. for a cordia turbo you can boost the engine to as follows.

Un intercooled - 10-12 psi, you can boost more but efficiency wise it wont be beneficiall.
Intercooled - up to 20 psi.
In the past i have boosted my white cordia when it was un intercooled once to 18 psi, what happend was it pinged, but when its intercooled ive boosted all teh way past 20 psi no problem.

Now when i boosted my un intercooled turbo it can go over 18 psi no problem, no pinging nothing. IM very impressed cos it feels like Nitrous when activated. i have since removed the intercooler from my white cordia.

Im still deciding exactly whetr i need the injection to begin, so far i have it at around 12 psi, so what that means is that it will inject starting when it senses 12 psi and will continue till i back off.

methanol is cold on its own, you ever put water on your hand/skin and blew your breath on it see how cool it feels, well with methanol poured on your skin it instantly feels so cold, so when its in the air it will freeze up the air charge dramatically. When the system activates i can feel more pull power ( torque) straight away. i will be racing onj the 31.5.06 to see what the car does. Im gona try hit the 13 second barrier.

This is the pic of the fluid resovoir, its basically the factory windscreen washer bottle.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14801190659.jpg&s=f5

This is a pic of the plastic hose that goes to the pump.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14801130714.jpg&s=f5

This the hi pressure pump.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14801150260.jpg&s=f5

A pic of the pressure switch thats on my intake.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14801174136.jpg&s=f5

This is the injector nozzel on the inductuion hose.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14801161316.jpg&s=f5

A pic of my methanol fuel.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14801112586.jpg&s=f5

i like the position of the water bottkle cos its in its factory position and it looks neat. I was thinking were to mount the pump inside the engine bay, there was a few places to put it, but i decided to hide it completly also cos its inside the car, the pump wont absorb any heat so i want it to last.

The connections have special push on push off type connections for the tubing, its really easy to take the hoses off and on, saves alot of time. It has a simple relay and wiring.

the only thing with my installation is that it doesnt have that ROCKER switch, thats basically a toggle switch just to arm the system on and off, mine dosnt have 1 , it didnt come with 1 so basically as sooon as i start my car up its activated, and ready to operate when the pressure is reached.

VISIT MY website dedicating my cordia's. www.freewebs.com/kingcordia

Im testing this kit on this cordia before i put it in my other cordia, the red cordia is my 13.733 second cordia, in future it will be Nos fed aswell with the methanol injection.What do youse think, can i have WI and Nos at the same time.

JohnA
29-05-2006, 10:44 AM
interesting project. :smile:
Have you measured the flow per minute? What I'd do is just stick the nozzle in a bucket and activate the pump for 15seconds, then multiply the volume by four.

Why don't you start injecting at 8-10psi? it's worth a try perhaps. It would be interesting if you could acceleration figures with methanol injected at different boost levels.
With water I'd be careful because the atomisation you've got is not that good and you could risk damaging the compressor blades. But methanol evaporates pretty quickly so it would be less of a problem I guess...

Rogercordia
29-05-2006, 10:57 AM
At this moment im using the ration to around 70/30, or even 80/20, meth/water, i havent yet run it with 100% methanol.

By any chance can a engine blow with methanol injection, no matter what ratio the mixture is?.

JohnA
29-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I haven't found any feedback from using pure methanol before the compressor. Not at high ratios compared to the airflow.
Therefore I'd treat it with caution until it proves itself safe.

Personally I avoid any concentrations where methanol exceeds water.

sdminus
29-05-2006, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine is running pre turbo Meth injection. He was told time and time again that the high comp engine would only take a max of 10 psi. he has his up to 16 psi. He has a msd knock sensor and it still has very low knock. I have driven the car my self and i would not argue with its performance. I await the day he fits a egt to it but my gut fealing after seeing the plugs is all good my friend.

Scott