PDA

View Full Version : Leaking water at the Aquamist 2D HSV valve

mx5
02-03-2004, 12:03 AM
I installed the Aquamist 2D this last weekend.
The first day everything was ok. But then the pump started coming on even during at idle when the W/I was not used. I suspected a leak and found it - it is leaking water at one of the tube quick fittings at the HSV valve. It was just dripping on Sunday evening, but this morning I noticed that it even squirted a bit.
The leak at the fitting is not at the side where the 4mm tubing goes in it, but on the other side - where it bolts to the HSV.

I haven't tried fixing the leak yet, but when installed the system I tightened the fitting well, but by bare hands only. Is this the problem? Or any tips about sealing it?

cmetzner
02-03-2004, 04:21 AM
I had the same problem after a couple of weeks of operation with the same unit. Turns out that I did not have the connections screwed in tight enough. The HSV needs to be mounted in an area with little vibration. I did not do this. So, the connectors would vibrate loose. They have not come loose in the last 4 months.

Are you also on the BR Performance forum?

-- Chuck

mx5
02-03-2004, 04:42 AM
yup, check your PM

cmetzner
12-06-2004, 03:56 PM
I have exchanged out different jets several times for different reasons. The jet is mounted in the outlet manifold of my m62 blower on my miata.

The last couple of times I exchanged out the jets, I noticed that some small amount of water would drip out of the line. This is the section of water line between the HSV and the jet.

Shouldn't this line be empty when the car is stopped and turned off? Does this mean that the HSV is dripping water into the line when the valve should be closed?

My assumption is: that as I drive the car slowly into the driveway, the engine is under vacuum and the vacuum should draw all of the water from the line up to the HSV. Either the valve is malfunctioning or my thinking is all wet.

-- Chuck Metzner

Richard L
13-06-2004, 09:51 AM
The HSV can withstand a differential pressure of 10 bar. We normally set the water pressure to 6-7 bar from the factory. If the jet is placed in the vacuum side of the engine, you need to allow an extra bar (7-8bar). I wil not advise anyone to set the water pressure beyond 8.5 bar.

As I said before, if there are dribbles at the jet tip, it is normally caused by the residual water in the line. You can install an inline checkvalve to eliminate it (as close to the jet as possible).

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/sl/plist/pic2/806-249/chkv2s.JPG

If there is an actual leak of the valve, you should hear the pump re-activate itself every some often. If you are concerned too much, back flush the HSV (activated) with compress air or clean water.