PDA

View Full Version : Water won't go in!

nutron
06-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I've fitted two aquamist kits now, one to a 2.0 common rail diesel Mondeo (which work perfectly) and the other to my 1.9CDTI Vectra. As I say, the Mondeo had no problems and worked wonderfully; the Vectra is being somewhat of a pain though. The only difference I can see between the kits is the pump, the both claim to be the race pump, min 100psi. The Mondeo had quick release fittings though and the Vectra one has a quick release output but screw grip inlet. This doesn't seem relevant though as the pump is directly below the tank and there is no cavitation in the feed line (so far as I can tell).

The facts -

The inlet air pressure on the road peeks at about 30psi, on the rolling road though under less load it makes a little over 26psi.

I've hooked the race pump upto the same pressure sensor while running the car on the rollers and recorded 109psi.

The problem -

When the car revs up the fluid starts to move the wrong way down the tube then stops, as if the manifold pressure was pushing it back until the pump comes on. The fluid then stays there, rather than flowing back to the nossel and injecting. It was suggested that air might be being force back down to the pump and causing air lock. So I fitted a Halfords washer pump non-return valve just before nossel to try and prevent this but it's still not injecting.

I've tried the pump and nossel into air and they mist fine. I tried turning the pressure sensor right down to come in at about 8psi and I think it does come on because the car displayed some rough running at low revs (turned it off quickly). I've increased the nossel to a 0.7mm orifice and still nothing, so I'm now out of ideas. I can't understand how 109psi can be overcome by 26psi...

The pressure sensor is placed just after the intercooler and the nossel closer to the intake.
The pump sits directly below the washer tank and the pressure line feeds up (about 500mm to a custom made alloy pipe)
The nossel is in the bend at 90 deg to the air flow and sits flush with the interia surface.

I would love to know what's wrong as I now have 50 ltrs of methanol doing nothing and I want to have it sorted before Santa Pod reopens to improve on my 15.1 from last year.

nutron
07-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone?

Richard L
07-01-2008, 02:20 PM
could you rtell me the serial number of the problem pump (on the bottom of the pump)

nutron
07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Number is 9917600.

As I said in my email, I have checked the lines again tonight and the feed is clear of air; the pressure line has air pockets in it through out its length. Would the washer pump non-return valve be sufficient to resist 30psi of back pressure?

nutron
17-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I've got it working, the problem was with the thing I had discounted, the feed line. I took a seperate feed from the washer tank and it's all got... except the leaking and exploding pipes.

I fitted a washer non-return valve using silicon hoses and when the system started working correctly, it tore the silicon pipe to piece. So I replaced the silicone pipe with more robust washer pipes and it is holding now but I have some impressive leaks still in the pressure line. When I had it on the rolling road, it was misting into the air as well as the intake.

None the less, the results were noticable, a 12bhp and 10lbft gain on the wather methanol even with it leaking.