PDA

View Full Version : With and without power runs...

nutron
16-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I have a Performancebox from Racelogic that estimates power based on stated weight and rate of accelleration. I made some runs with and without the water methanol running and with different fuel settings to see what difference it made. I took the measurements on a fairly flat road in both dirrections and took an average of the two. So far I got the following results :

0.7mm + 0.4mm (50:50 water:methanol)

lower fueling setting, 190-210bhp
+11.9% with water/methanol running

higher fueling 210-230bhp
+5% with water/methanol running

I've increased to a 1mm + 0.4mm and I am going to try again but I was very suprised by the results. The box estimates almost 20bhp extra at the road wheel on the lower fueling setting. You can see the spec on the box I'm using here...

http://www.performancebox.co.uk/overview.html

nutron
16-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Made some more runs and it showed an increase in power so I went back upto the max I can manage at the moment without pre-turbo injection :

1mm + 0.7mm @ 125psi - 1 check valve

This was all on the lower power setting but I am now showing about a 14% power increase on the lower fuel setting. I didn't bother with the upper fuel setting as it is very smokey like that, so I would rather keep it where it is.

I tried this out because I was worried that I was injecting too much and may actually be reducing output. As you can see though, it is still making more power. Next step is to put in the tiny 1gph nozzel I have ordered for pre-turbo injection and test again. Finally I will get a guy from the garage to sit in the car with a tech2 and capture running data with and without injection. Then I will adjust the water:methanol ratio until I have the same or just slightly lower running temps when injection is turned on as when it is off.

I recon this will give me as close to perfect a setup as possible.

nutron
18-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Further tests with a slightly higher methanol ration (approx 40:60 - water:methanol) showed some very impressive results. I set the box to record 35mph-65mph and did runs with and without injection in third gear. The difference was about 0.7 seconds! I was shocked by how much of a difference it made on a timed run like that.