PDA

View Full Version : mysterious methanol leak

mt057
04-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I am losing methanol quickly and I don't know how find it. I lost about a gallon last night while the car was sitting. It seems to drain below the line feeding the pump from the tank. So far I have not found any pooling. Should I put water with food color in the tank and look for the leak? Where is the best place to look first? Can the jets leak if the system is off? The lines leading to them are dry. The system has be working great for over a year. I run 100% methanol as instructed by the installer. Thank you for your time/help.

Richard L
04-10-2009, 11:18 PM
what system is it?

mt057
05-10-2009, 02:38 AM
It is the Hfs-1. The pump is mounted in the rear fender well under/behind the tank. The car is an 03 evo 8. Sorry my first post was not clear. It is draining below where the feed line is on the tank. I do not see any signs of dripping from the tank so I am assuming it might be the pump. Just guessing though...

Richard L
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
We have some new type of compression fittings, immune to methanol. Can you give the serial number of your flow sensor.

mt057
06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
The serial number is 3424 and the part no. on it reads 806-428. I have notice that the line leading to it is full and the line exiting it has air bubbles in it. This was located behind my glove box near the firewall. Thank you for all your help. Its the best support I have ever recieved and from across the pond no less.

Richard L
06-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the serial number.

When ever there is bubble around, there will be some leal somewhere on the vacuum side.

Places to look for leaks:

1. Inline filter. The two nylon collars are not squashed or distorted. Tighten after inspection.
2. Fittings between the pump and the water tank

Put some clothing dye in the water, wrap soem tissue paper around each joint, let it rest for a few hours and inspect.

mt057
06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Would the bubbles be closest to the fitting its comeing from? Do I need to make the pump activate to force the colored water into the lines?

Richard L
06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
bubble is from leaks sucking air in.

Zodiac13
07-10-2009, 03:57 AM
richard i mailed you about a leak i am having with my hfs-6 kit. i sent the 4th but no reply but noticed you have been checking this post about leaking. thanks =P

Richard L
07-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I am have email problems, oputlook is overload and unable to cope. I am able to reciev new mails but unable to retrieve older emails.

Zodiac13
08-10-2009, 05:53 AM
ill send you another email and another pm on here and evolutionm.

Richard L
10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Got them all and replied.

mt057
13-10-2009, 03:55 AM
Thank you Richard for your help. I should not have been afraid to remove the asembly in the first place. Once I removed my tank and pulled my pump, I added water and looked for leaks. I found one where the connector for the inlet water line meets the pump was leaking rapidly. I removed the connector and inspected it...The O-ring that seales the connection had cracks in it. Long story short a trip to the local autoparts store and for one dollar I am back in business. Tomorrow I am going to dump the water and fill it with methanol see what happens. Tonight, I put in water and the line appeared to not accept the water. I guessing that it is now at vacuum! Thank again for all you help. Update in the morning.

Richard L
14-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Thank you for posting the findings. Any idea what caused the o-ring to split?

mt057
14-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I only run pure methanol and it has been over a year and a half since install. I think that time finally took its toll on the poor little 0-ring. It had many little stress cracks in it. The system has been running like a champ since day one. I am now looking at a hfs-6 system upgrade from howerton enginering.

Thank you for all your support Richard. You have a life long customer.

Michael Thomason