PDA

View Full Version : 2d system, rpm turn-on

wrx+
19-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I have been running the 2d in my 03 wrx for a few months and have just recently upgraded to txs's stage 4. I have been ref. boost to turn on the W/I but now I need also to ref. rpm's to stay out of det. when shifting. Does anyone know the part # for the radio shack switch/relay that will allow me to do that with my Utec? and the proper way to apply it to my system?

Richard L
19-03-2004, 10:14 PM
You can buy a shift light to enable you water injection.

wrx+
19-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Richard, I realize I can do it that way, however the radio shack switch has proven to be durable and reliable, as an added bonus it only costs about $8.00 U.S.

Forum Admin
20-03-2004, 03:07 AM
I am going to move this to the technical area which should help with a response.

While a system 2d is involved - adding a component like this and driving it with Utec would be more of a general application question and should get more traffic and response there.

Richard L
21-03-2004, 12:52 AM
The 2d uses a normally 'closed' pressure switch.

Your radio shack should be slao be a normaly 'closed' configuration to work the 2d.

wrx+
21-03-2004, 03:39 PM
I've been to three radio shacks so far and the people working there are not very knowledgable (like myself), so it would be much easier if I could get a part #. :oops:

Richard L
21-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Does the little unit detect frequency and swtch on a relay?

wrx+
21-03-2004, 04:24 PM
The utec opens the circuit at a preset rpm level activating the HSV.

Richard L
21-03-2004, 04:32 PM
I think I understand what you are looking for, you just need a change-over relay - I think you just need to get any 1A 'change-over' relay and should not cost more than 2 to 3 dollars.

wrx+
21-03-2004, 05:37 PM
I understand that, but I can't get the people at radio shack to understand that. Which is why I am looking for the part #. Thanks for the interest!

Richard L
21-03-2004, 06:14 PM
I just visited radioshack http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F013%5 F000&Page=1&find=relay(keyword)

part number:
275-006 @3.99USD SPDT 2A
275-248 @3.99USD SPDT 10A
275-249 @4.99USD DPDT 5A

They will all do what you want - they are called SPDT or DPDT
S=single D=double T=throw P=pole.

wrx+
21-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Richard. I went to their website but didn't know which one would work for me. Thanks again!

Charged Performance
23-03-2004, 01:15 AM
A single pole single throw normally closed or single pole double throw using the normally closed pole will cross over the binary ground logic from XEDE or UTEC to the trigger needed for the 2d. Just about any normal automotive 5 pin relay will be suitable - most automotive places will have a Bosch or other make around. Look in fog light, auxilarry horn sections since they are usually required for those applications as most switches will not support the draw of those items.

wrx+
23-03-2004, 03:40 AM
Thanks to you to charged performance.

Charged Performance
23-03-2004, 05:57 AM
For anyone that is interested in switching the ground logic of the Aquamist triggers.

Normally there will be two pins on the relay for the solenoid this will have a rectangle with a line going to each pin - one pin will go to a ignition switched and fused 12v line, the other will go to your UTEC trigger. The solenoid is not normally polarity sensitive. When the UTEC grounds the solenoid will activate.

Then on a SPDT 5 pin automotive relay there will be a common pin a line will be connected to it - this goes to ground. (PS I forgot most 4 pin automotive relays are only normally open - you probably won't find a normally closed one without a special order)

One of the pins will have a line on the schematic going to it but not touching - that is the normally closed position. Usually this is the center pin. That pin goes to the grey wire. While grounded the system will be ready but not operating. When the UTEC grounds the solenoid this normally closed circuit (grounding the grey wire) will open (ungrounding the grey wire) triggering the system to do its stuff.

The other pin that has no line on the schematic is the normally open pin nothing goes there, unless you want an LED to show when the system has been triggered. In that case run a wire from the relay to the (-) side of a 12v LED (or LED with proper resistor). Then whenever the system is triggered the LED will light.

wrx+
23-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Thank you Charged Performance, that is the rest of the info I needed. I can install or fabricate just about anything, but the electrical stuff is not my cup of tea. :oops: