PDA

View Full Version : Help -Pump not pumping

Sportsroof
04-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi All, I'm new here having just acquired a used Aquamist 1S system which I plan to fit onto a N/A 5.7 V8 with fairly high CR. Problem I have is that the pump initially did nothing when powered, and now I've got it making the right noises, it does not want to move any water. I tried priming it with a syringe and the water passes through the pump (powered) but there's no pressure and once the syringe is disconnected, flow ceases. I'm guessing that something inside is worn out/cream-crackered and I'll have to try to get my money back from the seller but if anyone can suggest a solution to resurrect this pump, I'll listen! Pump has PN 806-052 underneath if that helps at all.
Cheers, Martin

Richard L
04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
There is ia serial number on the lable, please let me have this to check for availablity of spare parts.

Sportsroof
05-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. Serial number is 9915206. I have opened it up as per the info elsewhere on this forum and apart from some minor scoring of the input end of the piston, it all looks good so I'm hoping it just needs new O rings and maybe the little seals that go at the end of the small springs. I really hope it can get this working.TIA
Cheers, Martin

Richard L
14-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Keep me updated.

There is no reason why it shouldn't pump. Make sure the two floating valves move freely.

Here is the pump in action:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/sl/plist/pic2-08/806-052/animation1.GIF

Sportsroof
15-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the animation Richard, I have seen it before during my attempts to sort out this pump. I have had very little time to tinker with it but as I have said, it appears fine inside, nothing broken or missing and all in good condition apart from minor scoring on the piston.
Latest developments are that last night I tried it again and although it pumped and produced a spray, the flow seemed low and the spray quality was poor, not a fine spray as I would expect. On a whim, I tested the pressure with various gauges and saw over 200psi (!) and then found that dead-heading the pump seemed to make it work much better afterwards. Flow increased dramatically and the spray pattern became much finer so for now, it seems to be working satisfactorily.
Just need to start testing on the engine and try to determine how much water is needed to control the detonation.
I have made my own WI systems in the past which worked well but this is the first proper high pressure system so is a little new to me.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers, Martin

Richard L
21-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Pump don't make pressures, restrictor does.

Two things to note before testing:
1. You power supply should be capable for a peak cuirrent of 40A. (put a lead acid battery inline with your PSU. set it to 13.8V (trickle charge volatge)
2. Put a water jet on the outlet of the pump.

Retest.