PDA

View Full Version : Need Help 2s Install, completely stumped

jesuscookies
29-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Okay I have been trying to get this 2s to work on my car for the past month, and quite frankly I do not know what to do next. :cry:

I am utilizing the stock wiper bottle, and stock wiper bottle pump. It sits very low in my car. About 6 inches from the ground. My aquamist pump, on the other hand, is about 24-36 inches higher than the lowest point of my water bottle. I did this due to fitment issues. A pulse extender was built for me, and it was installed according to the diagram that Richard has posted on this forum, along with a relay.

When I start the car, the pump primes, but the winshield wipers go off as well. I can pull one wire off of the relay and the winshield wiper problem seems to go away. Pump still seems to prime. However, from this point pump will not prime again. Unless, I hit the windshield wiper cleaner switch in my car. When I do this the windshield wipers go off, the pump primes and I get a fine mist out of the nozzle.

I have tested the system otherwise, and can get all lights to go on. Including the, rpm, input threshold, and the inject light, but only droplets of water come out. Fault light has never turned off.

Here is exactly how we tested the system. With the car on. I used a pump with a guage to simulate boost in the system. This triggers the input threshold light to come on. Next I have the water enrichment potentimeters full open at 2K and 3K RPM. I give it gas, to 2K then 3K while simeltaneously pumping the boost hose. All lights light up but only a drop or 2 comes out of the pump.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do from here?

Charged Performance
29-03-2004, 06:15 AM
I will give this a shot as without being present diagnosis is difficult as there may be a piece of information I am missing.

Generally it is going to be very difficult to continue to use your windshield sprayer as a WI priming pump and also for cleaning your windshield unless you are going to put a solenoid on your winshield spray hose.

I will start with questions -

Is the inlet line filled with water? Are there ANY bubbles at all in it?

Until the inlet line is filled and stays filled pump activity and performance will be irratic - it will not self prime.

How about from the pump to the high speed valve?

A better way to test the system's potential would be with your ignition on but not running use a jumper wire and ground the brown wire on the high speed valve for one minute with your jet(s) in a measuring container. This will let you know if your flow potential is to spec. From there you can evaluate whether or not the system is metering the HSV properly.

Hopefully this will give you a start for some new things to try and I will contemplate others.

jesuscookies
29-03-2004, 05:03 PM
I will not be using the windshield wiper bottle, or pump, to clean my windows. It will be used primarily for the WI. To alleviate the winshield wiper problem, I cut the water pump wire that was going into my main harness. If I understand this correctly, I have full control of the pump now, as it goes only to a relay that is connected to my WI system.

Next when I turn on the ignition, the pump primes, and water shoots directly out of the hose/nozzle. Should it be doing this on start up? Makes no sense for the WI to inject water at start up, but to inject nothing under boost. Am I missing something? Makes me wonder if I have wire crossed, or an issue somewhere else?

Back to the priming pump issue. If I have the priming pump hooked to a relay, with a pulse extender. will this be enough to keep my system primed?

Also, I will try grounding the brown wire that is going into the plug like socket, and measuring for a minute. I am guessing 300ml of water with a .07 nozzle?

Thanks for all your help

Charged Performance
30-03-2004, 04:30 AM
OK I have a better understanding now of your issue, I thought water was coming out of your windshield spray nozzle.

No at start up, idle and below your boost trigger you should not get any water out of the WI jet. Your HSV is opening for some reason. Either it is wired incorrectly or it is shorting somewhere. The HSV is your solenoid and flow control to the jet - it should only permit injection at your trigger point and then only in the percentage of potential that you map in the control system.

Yes the resevoir pump with the extender should keep your pump primed with no bubbles present from the resevoir through the pump and to the hsv.

Depending on your pressure switch setting the 0.7 nozzle should inject between 195 & 270 ml in a minute when the hsv is held open by shorting the brown wire to ground. A 0.8 will give 300ml potential.

jesuscookies
30-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Okay,

with the .7 Nozzle, I am getting 270ml of fluid a minute. This leads me to believe that the pump is primed, and is doing its job. Again though, I only get water out of the Manifold block on start up, and not under boost.

It appears that all my wiring is correct. However, I will have to double check it as I could have missed something.

One thing that comes to mind is the extra white wire that is not used. There was 2 white wires. One is a ground, and the other not used. They were both identical. I just picked one to use as the ground. Could this have an effect? Am I supposed to use a specific white wire for this?

Anyways, still stumped, and still need help. So if you think of anything send it my way.

P.S. I want to buy a DDS system from you once my system is up and running. Can you email me with some details on that unit?

David

Richard L
30-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Please check the system as follows:
(jet outside engine)

1) With the ignition on. Unplug the MF2 and loosen the blanking plug of the manifold. The pump should start immediately. Watch for any air bubbles. Re-tighten the plug and pump should stop. The system is now ready for the next two steps.

2) Ignition still on and start the engine. Now plug the MF2 into the loom. Simulate the pressure manually -DO NOT do this until the yellow lamp goes out. Apply pressure now, the red light (Threshold) should come on.

3) Bring the engine speed to 3000rpm and turn the 3K pot to maximum.

Let me know what happen.

Note: when the yellow lamp stays on and doesn't go out, you need to unplug ther MF2 for 10 seconds to reset the system otherwise the water will come out as a dribble.

jesuscookies
31-03-2004, 04:22 AM
Okay Richard,

I tried you suggestion here is what happened.

with ignition on, I unhooked the MF2. This caused the system to run nonstop. I then unscrewed the blanking plug. When I did this the water started to gush from the plug hole. After roughly 10 seconds, it settled down, and then just started spitting out foam. Windscreen cleaner got kinda foamy I guess. :lol:
I then reinstalled the blanking plug, started the car, and hooked up the MF2. Lamp went back on and stayed on. In addition the system did what it has been doing from the begininning. It primes up and shoots water for a couple of seconds than stops. I did not try anything under boost because the lamp never went off.

What's next ?

jesuscookies
31-03-2004, 06:22 AM
I forgot to mention something. I do not know if it will help, but just in case. On the manifold block there is one inlet, and 2 exits. One exit reads Out, while the other has something like set manifold pressure written on it. I have the outgoing hose hooked up to the exit that reads set manifold pressure. I did this because when I tried to run the hose from the out , water just gushed out of the other exit.

Thanks for the help

Richard L
01-04-2004, 01:30 AM
Just to clarify things, have a look at the picture below, have you put the hose connection into the appropriate ports?

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/806-200-2.JPG

jesuscookies
01-04-2004, 03:17 AM
Richard,

Numbering the ports from left to right. with 1 having the red stick in it, and 4 being the blanking plug.

I currently have my water jet in # 3. The reason that I did this, is because water is gushing out of #3 when I first turn the system on. Nothing comes out of the blue arrowed hole, or outlet # 2.

:idea: the light bulb just went on :)
Do I need to keep that red stick in which ever port I am not using? because currently I am not. Is this the problem? If it is DUUUUHHHHH!!!!

Okay, here is what I am going to do next. I will switch the hose over to the blue arrowed outlet and if I can find that red piece. I will use it to plug one of the holes. I will then retry your earlier suggestion, and reset everyting.

Thanks for all your help. I will post an update shortly, on how this goes.

David

jesuscookies
01-04-2004, 06:01 AM
UNFRICKENBELIVEABLE!!!!! IT WORKS.

WooooooHooooo!!!

Thanks for all your help guys, and especially Richard. I would have been lost without it.

On to the next step, tuning and cleaning up the install.

Richard, I will send pics as soon as everything is done.

David