PDA

View Full Version : e85 / bioethanol and water injection ?

cosator
14-05-2010, 06:00 PM
hi !

i am thinking of changing my pump gas fuel setup of my turbocharged engine to e85 / bioethanol.

as e85 does have about 104 octane and leads to noticably cooler combustion temperatures i wonder if i should run my water injection (2d with 70water/30methanol) furthermore which i mainly use for charge colling (because of my slightly to small dimensioned ic).

my current opinion is to i keep my water injection but use a smaller jet.

what do you guys think ? does somebody have experiences in using e85 fuel and water injection ?

kind regards.

cosator

RICE RACING
11-06-2010, 05:47 AM
hi !

i am thinking of changing my pump gas fuel setup of my turbocharged engine to e85 / bioethanol.

as e85 does have about 104 octane and leads to noticably cooler combustion temperatures i wonder if i should run my water injection (2d with 70water/30methanol) furthermore which i mainly use for charge colling (because of my slightly to small dimensioned ic).

my current opinion is to i keep my water injection but use a smaller jet.

what do you guys think ? does somebody have experiences in using e85 fuel and water injection ?

kind regards.

cosator

I will give you a great example

2 x cars both on E85

I lasted ~1 hour or less run time (engine died!) at a local event and was far less powerful than.......
The other that ran my pre turbo water injection system ;) on his motor that has outlasted 3 rebuilds of the slower one without WI. The faster WI car was over 4.4 seconds a lap faster (both same types of cars! same motors, same turbo, despite being 150kg heavier lol street car v's stripped out wannabe race car)

Regardless of fuel type, water injection is an excellent addition. I sell many WI systems to drag racers who run straight methanol, they ALL see far better engine durability and have much safer engines that will tolerate greater windows of tuning set up as well.

Over my years I have seen many wonder solutions to engines fueling requirements but at the end of the day nothing matches WI for increased power WITH RELIABILITY, this is why its used in Planes. Any type of fuel only you run in a motor needs to run (especially if pressurized by turbo or other method) around 20% excess fuel to keep the motor alive. Water just does a far better job of this than a burning fuel ever can.

Airspeed
30-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Well that answered that question without hesitation ;-)

Thanks from over here as well!