PDA

View Full Version : HFS-3 shuts down after blue trunk wire is attached

CactusS4
13-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Symtoms,

turn on ignition without blue/trunk wire, gauge fires up, have the S in the gauge etc. Plug the blue (trunk) wire in and about 15-20 seconds unit clicks and gauge goes to simple yellow tank light.

So trying to run the flow test, I turn on ignition, remove the blue wire , move the required pins in the controller, replug the blue and I get Jet spray, FAV etc works and I have plenty of fluid in my tank (over 2 gallons). I didn't do any splicing of the blue trunk wire, could this be a bad sensor or else?

How can I figure this out.

Video here to help visualize the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPYX12qsMA

Thanks,
Tory

Richard L
13-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Just watched the video, very nice BTW.

Can you can the water level switch is not installed upside down. When the tank is full, the larm of the level sensor should be lifted up.

CactusS4
14-06-2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks Richard,

Seems I have the arrow up top and seems I have plenty of fluid. Is there a way to bypass the level just to verify that it's the issue, or is it quite apparent based on what I've shown that it's the level/sender whatever :)

Thanks again.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5962103/tank.JPG

Howerton Engineering
14-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Just unplug the level sensor from the the harness at the plug near the pump relay. The system will think the tank is full.

Richard L
14-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Unplug the sensor, the led should go out. It it still persists, check the green and yellow wire inside the 4-core cable, there might be a short curcuit there. Did you weld up the tank yourself? Very nice.

CactusS4
14-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys

Testing again today, I didn't cut or splice into any of the connectors, so that would be icky, will see if I can check that.

Nope, someone else fortunately spent the effort to make it. It's a nice fit, some design issues but overall not bad.

Will update after I do some more poking around

Thanks guys

Richard L
16-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Unplug the water level sensor and let me know if the yellow led goes out.

CactusS4
16-06-2010, 05:15 PM
yep unplugged the sensor in the trunk and the system seems to operate without issue. How do I go about getting a different level sender just to verify it's a bad sender vs something else?

Thanks

Richard L
18-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Can you measure the resistance of the sensor, There seem to be a close cirucit on the sensor.Three possibilities with full tank:

1. Faulty sensor
2. The sensor is installed upside down There should be an arrow near at the top, same face as the wires.
3. There is a magnetic device near the sensor. (washer motor?)
4. Something is stopping the float level pointing up.