PDA

View Full Version : Just installed HFS-3, couple questions

Ryan23
29-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Richard -
Well, I finally got around to installing my HFS-3 from the group buy with Howerton. Here's the specifics:

2000 Subaru Impreza STi Version 6
Stock EJ20 block
Forced Performance HTA68 turbo (a little smaller than a 20G)
505cc Yellow top side feed injectors
FMIC
Link G4 "Xtreme" EMS
Howerton 2 gal tank
.8mm jet, .7mm restrictor
Supporting mods...

Currently running 1.5 bar of boost with a 50:50 mix of water/meth. I'm having trouble setting up the failsafes. I ran through the preliminary steps in the manual. I'm getting a good cone pattern when I jump the sys jumper with no leaks.

Initially, the wife and I tried tuning the pots on the DDS-3 as the manual stated (while driving). Now maybe I'm just retarded, but I found the procedure a bit confusing ;). Setting up the SC, it seemed like we could only get 4 leds to light on a 4th gear pull. That was with the pot maxed cw. Setting up the WL and WH were confusing as it seemed like no matter what we did, we would get the water level failsafe indication to trip. We did manage to get the "B" to light steady.

FWIW: I have the fail safe trigger setup as a digital input to my G4 to drop boost but I currently don't have it enabled.

So today, I started over again. I found a procedure (possibly an older one) where the jet is removed from the piping and you trip the system via the jumper. I set SC in that manner to read 5 bars. Still had great flow, BTW.

Then WH is rotated full CW and WL is rotated full CCW and the system is jumped again. I rotated the WH until the failsafe tripped and backed off two clicks. Same for WL. I also backed the threshold off one click. Looking at my logs, spoolup was quick and I wanted the water/meth to activate a bit earlier.

Back out on the road, everything appeared OK but I'm only getting 2-3 bars @ WOT. I stepped on it a couple more times and I'm still getting the failsafe trip in 4th gear. I set the WH fully CW and WL fully CCW and now I'm not getting a trip. I'm guessing I have no protection though. "B" blinks a few times initially and then comes on steady, is this normal too?

So I'm still a bit confused on how the WL and WH pots relate to the bar graph on the gauge. I know WL relates to the first four bars and WH relates to the second four. What am I adjusting though when I turn the pot? How do I, "Set the WL to match the number of spoolup bars"? This system activates and I get 2-3 bars. Even if I could detect it fast enough during spool, how does one "set" WL to "match" bars? Unless I missed it, turning the pot doesn't cause any bars to indicate? What's fully CCW and CW actually do? Does it set the trip point somewhere with in those 4 bars? IE: Does the first 5 clicks of WL correspond to bar 1, next 5 clicks to bar 2?

Last dumb question for the day :) Even when the system trips a failsafe, the HFS-3 doesn't interrupt the flow, right? IE: I could have bright yellow water level light and as long as there is something in the tank, it's getting injected, right? I just want to make sure I'm still feeding my engine a healthy does of water/meth while I'm trying to adjust this. Looking at my logs, it would appear that's how it's working.

Thanks alot and I appreciate the support!

Ryan

Howerton Engineering
29-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Try spraying the jet into a container for 1 minute to see if the system is flowing right. We can look at the jetting charts and see if it is OK. While this is occurring, set the SC to 6 of 8 bars. Turn the WH from full CW down until the "B" flashes then back 2 clicks. The WL needs to be set on the road.

We need to make sure the system is flowing as it should. Some installs flow less than others depending on the tubing routing and such. The system does not try to stop injecting if the failsafe trips. It would appear you are getting a quick failsafe when the system starts to inject.

Remember, if you set the system to 6 of 8 bars at 100% DC then you may not hit 6 bars in normal driving depending on your max IDC. 4-5 bars is typical.

Ryan23
29-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Try spraying the jet into a container for 1 minute to see if the system is flowing right. We can look at the jetting charts and see if it is OK. While this is occurring, set the SC to 6 of 8 bars. Turn the WH from full CW down until the "B" flashes then back 2 clicks. The WL needs to be set on the road.

We need to make sure the system is flowing as it should. Some installs flow less than others depending on the tubing routing and such. The system does not try to stop injecting if the failsafe trips. It would appear you are getting a quick failsafe when the system starts to inject.

Remember, if you set the system to 6 of 8 bars at 100% DC then you may not hit 6 bars in normal driving depending on your max IDC. 4-5 bars is typical.

Hey Jeff -
Yeah, we ran the jet into a bucket and jumped the sys jumper for a good soild minute or two and it flowed fine. Everything appears to be working OK, we just don't get a lot of LEDs. With SC maxed in the CW position, we get about 4 bars. That's if you adjust it while driving. I'm at about 85% injector duty cycle (I've seen as high as 89% without water/meth).

By the way, if you step on it in the lower gears it will max out the LEDs on the gauge. Can you explain what these LEDs are telling me as well as how WL and WH relate to it? I though the LEDs indicated flow but why would flow it change depending on what gear I'm in? I'm referenced against IDC, so flow shouldn't change with myh gear choice, right?

Thanks!

Ryan