PDA

View Full Version : HFS 3 + compustar remote starter = CEL and more...

icy wrx
08-09-2010, 05:27 AM
Hi,

2009 WRX 5 spd mt

Just installed this system and am working on troubleshooting the following issue.

When I set the remote start sequence (pull ebrake and feet off of clutch and brake) and then switch off the ignition the following occurs:

CRUISE light blinks
Traction control turns off
CEL - error code P2045. "Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid "A" - Low"

ECU must be reset to eliminate the code and to be able to use the cruise control. ( I use cobb AP)

Aside from the dash lights, everything else with the remote start works just fine.

I am certain it is an easy override, but need a little input to make sure i don't screw something else up. My best guess is since the HFS failsafe is set to dump boost and is wired to ECU accordingly. While the car is powered the circuit to the boost solenoid is continuous, but when power to HFS control board is turned off, so is that signal.

Would adding a relay to this be able to bypass the HFS control board so that the ECU doesn't know the difference?

What kind of amp level relay should I use?

How should I connect the relay? Which poles to use and how do I wire it so that it closes the circuit when power to the HFS board is cut?

Thanks!
-Steve / ICY WRX

Richard L
08-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Option1:
Have you jumper linked the CEL option to DR=1? This allows a "dummy resistor" to fool the ECU to think the wastegate valve is still in circuit.

Option2:
There is a jumper link option on the HFS-3. Set "failsafe option" link to DHB (disable high boost). Basically this option is for occasion where you want to run race gas and switch off the wmi system, still retaining High boost.

This link disable the failsafe when the system is switched off. The HFS-3 will display a yellow led to remind you this option is selected.

icy wrx
08-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure on the DR0 DR1 issue - will dbl check. If I use option 1, won't it eliminate the FS, as I am using boost dump method?

icy wrx
09-09-2010, 04:11 AM
I took a look tonight when I got home...currently jumpers are installed on IDS, PWM, INJ, PRK, DR1, CLP, FS0 and DHB. These settings generate the CEL and other strange dash notifications

Richard L
09-09-2010, 09:01 AM
The settings look fine whilst the system is switched on.

Can you check the failsafe wiring especially the way the white and brown wire is spliced into the wastegate control wire on the ECU. Make sure the white wire is on the ECU side and the brown wire on the wastergate control valve side.

icy wrx
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I will double check, but did confirm with Jeff prior to installation that this was the correct way to connect the FS. Assuming this it is correctly installed, what might the next step be?

Richard L
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Does the system generate CEL when the system is switched off (at the gauge)?

When a CEL was thrown, did it coincide with the failsafe activation?

icy wrx
09-09-2010, 07:20 PM
No, CEL. Only shows up when ignition switch is turned off and the vehicle is still running at the control of the remote starter

icy wrx
10-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Failsafe wiring is confirmed - white on ECU side, Brown on waste gate side

Richard L
10-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I think I know why.

When power is removed from the HFS-3 upon ignition switch is turned off, the +12V supply to Dummy resistor (DR=1) is loss and becomes non-effect as a dummy load for the factory BCV.

Several ways around this:

1. Ensure the HFS3's main power input (molex 4-war connector) is still receiving power when the engine is still running. Re-route the red wire to the fuel pump relay etc.

2. Use an external dummy resistor (33-47ohm). Set CEL jumper link to DR=0. If (1) does worlk or not viable, I will give you more details on how to do plan (2).