PDA

View Full Version : Gauge not reading full bar anymore

Ngrabau
12-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I first want to apologize for not knowing more about this system. I'm going to try to explain the issue that I'm experiencing to the best of my ability.

I installed an HSF-3 system in an 04 STi about 5 months ago. I was having a couple issues with the latch connectors on the control box at first, but had solved that without issue and the car left my shop making 380whp and 390wtq.

It did this running 25psi on an external wastegate using an electronic boost control solenoid.

The car has been performing flawlessly since it left the shop, winning a couple of events and being an overall joy to drive.

Until recently that is. The customer came back to me reporting that the car isnt making the boost that it once did. Within minutes we had found that a vacuum hose had fallen off the top of the wastegate. That then solved the boost issue.

Since then, my customer has stated that the gauge will not longer read full bar across the board under boost as it did previously. The first 4 bars light up, but the second half of the gauge remains unlit. Also, this is unconfirmed on the dyno, but the car doesnt feel like its making the power it once did.

The turbo is indeed making the 25psi that it was tuned for, but the power and flow simply arent there.

I've checked for any possible leaks in the system, and looked for any air bubbles or blockages in the the feed lines, nothing to be found.

There thing I found to be odd is that essentially, nothing has changed but the weather.

If Im missing any details that people might find helpful, please let me know.

Howerton Engineering
13-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Has any setting changed on the system? SC changed on the gauge or gain setting on the controller?

I would remove the jet and flow it into a container for 1 minute. Let us know what the result is and we can see if it looks like there is a blockage or issue with the system.

Richard L
13-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Try without the jet and see the bat increases. If it does, the guage is actually detecting a drop in flow.

Ngrabau
14-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm going to try these suggestions now. Will I be able to jump power directly to the pump in order to perform these tests?

We had the car on the dyno the other day, there is indeed a drop in power. And the MAF voltage is a bit lower than it was tuned for previously. I'm going to start looking for an air leak in a minute.

I want to continue checking out the system, but I'm starting to think it may be something mechanical.

Also, nothing on the gauge (or control box) has been touched since the car was originally tuned.

Thanks for the input guys!

Richard L
15-10-2010, 08:07 PM
You can activate the the pump and FAV by using the system test function. Don't do it more than one minute at a time and the FAV will go static during test.