PDA

View Full Version : Hfs-3 996TT

Slvr-GTstreet
18-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Hi guys!
I'm about to purchase the HfS-3 from Howerton E this weekend for my 996tt. What size nozzles and what location is best for them to maximizing octane. I will start off 75/25 then 100% meth. How hard is it to program the unit. My tuner is ready to re-tune it when finished. I've seen some installs but they have all been 50/50 mixes on Porsches. Oh and my buddy is installing it not me.

Thanks,
Jason

Richard L
20-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Hello Jason,

Ideally, place the jet quite some distance from the thottle is good, allows more time for the water and air to mix and improve the rate of charge air cooling by evaporation. Water droplet decreases in size during evaporation, helping better droplet distribution to each cylinder.

The HFS-3 is very simple to set up, just leave the factoty settings alone, it will work. YOu can do more detail trimming later on.

Factory setting:
- tripping point ............~42% IDC
- gain: flow% per IDC% ............ 1:1

For Solcal, higer methanol % will allow better induction cooling. As you have mentioned, requires some minor tuning work due to methanol being a fuel.

Who is your tuner?

Slvr-GTstreet
02-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for getting back Richard. My tuner is Protomotive.

I have the hks evc-s boost controller. Which wire do we connect to the boost solenoid for the failsafe.

Jason

Richard L
02-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Hello Jason,

Can you send me a link to the user manual of the HKS evc-s controller. I need to read it through before giving you advice.

Richard L
02-05-2011, 07:07 PM
There is no need, just googled and saw the solenoid valve with two wires.

Cut the black wire and make the following connections. You can do this near the controller.

From the HFS-3 grey harness:
- Brown wire to the solenoid side of the HKS
- White wire to the controller side of the HkS

Slvr-GTstreet
02-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for quick response. I think we got it now.

One other quick question? Lets say I'm on the boost hard and all the sudden my line gets clogged for example. How will the failsafe react? How quickly will it react? Is this the best way and is there another alternative to go with this failsafe.

Thank you again,

Richard L
02-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Failsafe detection is instant but not much good in practice due to inherent spiking of the flow in a dynamic environment. This will result in incessant boost cut.

The HFS-3 has inbuild low-pass filter to arrest those spikes, use the FS-DL trimmer to delay the onset of boost drop. Heavier filtering results in slower reaction time. This trimmer can be set between 0.1s to 0.6s, default is ~0.4s from factory.

You can choose to have a faster reaction time but you have to widen the failsafe window trimmer settings (WL and WH). The width of the window is also governed by the start of injection.

Boost drop is the most effective. But you can use the second failsafe option - Map switching. This channel is originally designed for third party ECU with the ability to switch ignition or fuel map upon receiving a failsafe signal from the HFS3.

As you have the factory DME, you might be able to inject a voltage into the air temperture sensor of engine temperature to force the DME to alter fuel or ignition map on the fly because it sees abnormal temperatures readings.

Slvr-GTstreet
06-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Ok just finished installing everything. Everything seems fine but no pulse on the injector duty cycle on the gauge?? What should we check for?