PDA

View Full Version : HFS-3 power issue troubleshooting

Onieffect
20-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Good morning

Seems like a common issue, no power to gauge ( maybe even to conrtoller no leds light up ). Im following the start up procedure but getting no LEDS. Ive made sure that the connectors are seating correctly into the controller. The fuse looks good. Read all i can but havent gotten anywhere.

Just Hoping for some troubleshooting info. Can anyone explain to me in simpleish terms how to troubleshoot this. Hopfully someone can chime in and say that the red wire on the grey harness needs to see 12v+ and its just a battery being sillly.

This is how i have my car set up ( 90 mazda miata )

power connector
red - 12v turned on with accessories. Tested 11.8V at connector to controller
black and white - go to ground with ecu / wideband

Grey ECU connector
Red - Spliced into my fuel injector harness on the positive side. Sees 11.8V at connector to controller
Green - negative side of fuel injector harness
Pink - Map switching output from Megasquirt 2v3

Gauge cable plugged in both ends firmly
Gauge button depressed

Cheers
Scott

Richard L
20-10-2011, 11:47 PM
All connections looks good.

can you check the RJ45's plastic divider between the gold fingers are not bent or distorted. It is quite common for this to happen during an install.

Another common problem... the plastic latching tab is compressed during reeling in bag. solution: gentally ease the tap upwards without breaking it.

Try these two first.

Richard L
20-10-2011, 11:55 PM
One more item to check: the gauge cable's wire colour order should be mirrored as below:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/RJ45-gauge.gif

Onieffect
21-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the reply :). I did have a breif look at the connector but ill have a bettre look and snap a pic or 2. I actaully got 2 of the grey ecu cables so i will also try just swapping them over ( perhaps one is v1 and the other is v2 of the cable ).

Ill look over the weekend and report back

Cheers
Scott

Onieffect
21-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks Richard, i really appriciate your help. i had a chance to play after work today and after reading and debating for a week if i should post here i find myself feeling quite sheepish.

I mentioned before that my HFS-3 actually arrived with 2 grey RJ45 harness'. I work in IT and i should have swapped in the second one before bothering you on here. Swapped in the second harness i had and it worked pretty much flawlessly.

The only fault is some flickering of the gauge during cranking, but i beleive that this isnt a fault with the aquamist gear but becuase im running my injectors in a strange way with insufficient grounds ( will remedy soon! ).

I did look at the harness' after the second one worked to see if i could see if one mirrored and the other didnt i coudlnt make it out ( colourblind :( my wife puts masking tape on wires with there colour for me)

Thanks very much again
Sorry to clog up the forum with questions already answered :(

Regards
Scott

Richard L
21-10-2011, 05:44 PM
The correct wire colour order of the grey harness should be... from gauge side

-(red) 2011-May on version
-red
-green
-orange
-white