PDA

View Full Version : HFS-3 pump runs on after pull

Ngrabau
01-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Hello all, especially Richard and thanks in advance for your excellent product support. The knowledge shared here is second to none and is a testament to the quality of your product and support.

We have an HFS3 installed into a 2005 Subaru STi (USDM). The system has been installed for some time now and is beginning to exhibit strange behavior. Say you do a WOT run, pump comes on, FAV does its thing, flow meter shows some flow, b light is on all is well. When you let off the throttle and begin to decel, the system keeps spraying. We are using IDC for triggering the system. On decel the IDC is zero. The system shuts off a few seconds after letting off the throttle but is injecting the whole time so the engine gets boggy and weird due to all the water spraying at idle. If you try to do another pull, the system will not rearm and not inject until power to the gauge is cycled.

One thing that is different about this particular car is that we only used one jet (1.0mm) and because of that I needed to turn the gain almost all the way up in order to get sufficient flow. Could this be related? Adjusting the gain seems to have no effect on the symptom so this may be a dead end.

Serial # 100608
2005 USDM STi, IDC trigger, 1.0mm jet, Boost Juice in the tank. Let me know if you need any more details.

Ngrabau
01-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Also, when the pump runs on the FAV is also clicking. So it's not just the pump or the FAV it's the main unit commanding all of this.

Richard L
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
This run-on behavour should not happen once the iDC is dropped below the trigger point.

Is it possible for you to do the windshield test on the road as instructed on the user manual. This just to confirm the system is actually spraying and not due to the slower decel. of the turbine sensor and the damping of the gauge display. Can to post your result there.

The system is designed for running two jets so the "SC" trimmer will will be need to be set set quite high on bar-display gain. This is quite normal. Can you tell me the numbers printed on a small label on the left of the controller board.

Where are you located? the controller can be reflashed for a lower flow table.

Richard L
01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
One other request, can you take a picture of the installed FAV.

Ngrabau
02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
This run-on behavour should not happen once the iDC is dropped below the trigger point.

Is it possible for you to do the windshield test on the road as instructed on the user manual. This just to confirm the system is actually spraying and not due to the slower decel. of the turbine sensor and the damping of the gauge display. Can to post your result there.

The system is designed for running two jets so the "SC" trimmer will will be need to be set set quite high on bar-display gain. This is quite normal. Can you tell me the numbers printed on a small label on the left of the controller board.

Where are you located? the controller can be reflashed for a lower flow table.

I just got back from a test drive with the car. The jet as placed on the windscreen and I can confirm that it does, indeed, continue spraying once you have lifted off the throttle. So much in fact that the wipers wouldn't keep up and I ended up having to just turn the system off in order to get it to stop.

I've gone back through the wiring yesterday, and it all looks good. (I triple checked it after my last wiring mistake.) I don't want to put you though that again.

As for the numbers on the left of the board, I think these are what you want: 12-135-150

And here is a picture of where the FAV is mounted. Sorry about the size.

http://i39.tinypic.com/t66q7q.jpg

(On the driver's side, just under the brake master cylinder, away from any turbo heat.)

Although it looks close to the master cylinder, I assure you they are not touching.

Richard L
02-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the update.

I was wondering if there are are debris trapped on the seat of the valve, keeping it open at all time.

Can you pull the "FAV" jumper link off and do a "SyS" system test. If you see spray on the screen, it confirms the FAV is not closed properly.

Ngrabau
02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the update.

I was wondering if there are are debris trapped on the seat of the valve, keeping it open at all time.

Can you pull the "FAV" jumper link off and do a "SyS" system test. If you see spray on the screen, it confirms the FAV is not closed properly.

I'll check that now. Would that casue the pump and FAV to continue pulsing after the IDC goes to zero?

Ngrabau
02-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Ok, so here is what we have found.

Removed the FAV link, put it on the SYS. the pump turns on. . . AND STAYS ON WHEN THE LINK IS REMOVED. As the pump runs on, if I put the FAV link back into the FAV slot, the FAV goes crazy and sprays, (the pump continues to run).

We have another HFS-3 board here that we will be installing in a few days. (SN 100810). When we performed the same test, the pump would turn off as soon as we removed the jumper from the SYS port.

Richard L
02-12-2011, 07:54 PM
It is a good idea to try the second controller on the same wiring (same installation), please tell me if the second controller behaves normally.

Ngrabau
02-12-2011, 09:34 PM
The new board stops the pump as soon as the jumper is removed from the SYS port. Just as it should.

I've spoken to Jeff at Howerton Engineering, after going through what I've tested and what results I've gotten, he agrees that the board might be the issue. He agreed to send me another board and he said that he wants to look at the board I have here.

Jeff also had me try the same test with the gauge unplugged. The pump would continue to run on the same way. So I don't think the gauge is the issue.

Once I get the new board, I'll let you know how it goes.

Richard L
02-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Jeff is great, he does look after his customers very well. I will connect up with Jeff and do some diagnostic work as soon as he has received the board.

I do have a question. Is this prblem right at the start or recently happened?

Richard

Ngrabau
05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Jeff is great, he does look after his customers very well. I will connect up with Jeff and do some diagnostic work as soon as he has received the board.

I do have a question. Is this prblem right at the start or recently happened?

Richard

The car left the shop about 2-3 months ago in perfect working order. The customer came back last week saying that there was a clicking from under the hood. (The clicking was from the FAV continuing to pulse) I noticed that his meth tank was very low, mentioned it to him and he said he just filled it about 100 miles previous. It was then that I realized it wasn't just the FAV clicking, but the pump was running on after you got off the throttle.

Hopefully I'll have the new module in the next couple days and I will let you know how it goes.

Richard L
06-12-2011, 10:33 PM
I can't wait to see the old HFS-3 board.

The system could spray even when the valve was stuck open because the pump was not activated. Since the valve was not shut properly, you would see the prolong syray after lift off as the line was depressurising.

Ngrabau
09-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I can't wait to see the old HFS-3 board.

The system could spray even when the valve was stuck open because the pump was not activated. Since the valve was not shut properly, you would see the prolong syray after lift off as the line was depressurising.

Well Jeff sent over another board the other day, I slapped it into the customer's car and everything works exactly as it should!

The old board is en route to CA for Jeff to look at, I assume it's next stop is England. I'm pretty curious to see what the problem is too, this one was a tough one. Thanks for all your help!

Nick