PDA

View Full Version : First WI stage before blow-off-valve???

dsmtuned
27-04-2004, 04:13 PM
I built my own 2 stage WI system with Aquamist parts. I have a turbo DSM. I have the first nozzle right after the intercooler in the upper intercooler pipe and the second right before the throttle body.

My question is: Should having the first nozzle right before the blow-off-valve (which dumps back into the intake pipe by the mass airflow sensor) cause any misreadings by the mass airflow sensor? I am wondering because I can see in my logs that the barometer changes slightly when I let off the throttle. Not a huge deal, but it changes the fuel mixture a tad.

:?: -- Thanks!

Charged Performance
28-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Its refreshing to see some people still keep their BOVs recirculating on MAF dependent systems.

I am a bit surprised that it would recirculate through the MAF though since it would effectively read that air flow twice. I would have expected it to recirculate after the MAF. But there may be something in the logic to already take that into account.

I could see the presence of the mist in the recirculated air altering the IAT. I guess I would expect the barometer settings to be based off the MAP at start up. But I just may be unfamilar with your sensor setups and specs.

I take it what you are seeing in your logs with WI were not present without WI. So if you are seeing an anomoly in the logs when you lift off boost the present water likely is altering a signal some. If it is a concern and you can place the jet just after the BOV it should eliminate the blip.

dsmtuned
28-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Yeah the BOV goes back into the intake just after the MAS. The thing is, for that spit second when I'm off the gas, the BOV air is able to flow up to the MAS and affect the sensors. I can see the temperature raise about 20* at that time.

Really it's not a significant change is barometer, but it does change one notch (79-80). Thanks for the response.

-Craig

AutoX47
04-05-2004, 02:51 PM
will injecting water before my dump valve hurt it? I too recirculate

Charged Performance
11-05-2004, 03:15 AM
I couldn't say for sure if it would hurt it or not.

DuMaurier 7
13-06-2004, 11:47 PM
I would think that it isn't a problem once you are recirculating , even if you are blowing off to atmosphere it wouldnt be a problem once you're NOT mixing with ANY type of alcohol (especially Methanol, it very nasty stuff!!)

hotrod
14-06-2004, 03:37 AM
I would not expect it to be a problem. During that moment in time while the pressure changes, by definition there is very little load on the engine ( the BOV presumably opened because the throttle closed).

The small amount of mist that would get passed through a BOV would not in my judgement be a big deal. I have a Forge BOV on my WRX and all the parts exposed to the air flow are either nylon of aluminum. Should be no worries.

Any mist that gets burped back up the intake tract should also not be a problem for you (dsmtuned) because I believe your car uses a karmen vortex style MAF.

On the hot wire MAF used on the WRX water mist is a no no and it will throw a CEL if any mist goes through the MAF, but it does not cause any major problem once you resolve the water source. The ECU just can't understand why there was such a huge temperature drop of the hot wire and does a quick fuel cut. (voice of experience here from an accidental introduction of a small amount of water into the air filter box)

Larry