PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! aquamist 2d

wrx+
25-10-2003, 02:37 AM
:?: I have the aquamist 2d. The instructions sent with it, consisted of a rather abstract diagram, and some "tips". Nothing about what all these gadgets are, or what purpose they serve. When, I get enough info to do a correct install it will be going in an 03 wrx running a UTEC, gutted up-pipe, APS TMIC, TXS turbo back exhaust, ......basically a stage 3 with lots of other goodies. Can someone please give me a hand.

Forum Admin
25-10-2003, 03:40 AM
Did the seller not have any advice on the installation? The Aquamist diagrahm is a generic accurate layout of the components, exact location of those components is usually provided by the dealer who is selling the end unit.

I can tell you that the red wire from the fia2 goes to an ignition constant on 12+V source ? the Yellow/Blue wire at pin D2 at the ECU works well.

The green wire from the fia2 goes to one of the injector switched grounds at the ECU ? the Pink wire at pin D1 at the ECU works well.

WRX ECU pinouts (http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/modifications/misc/wiring/wrxpin.html)

The pump should be located near the battery somewhere within reach of the included pump harness - where it will get adequate airflow so the heat sink case disipates heat rather than accumulating it.

The HSV is heat sensitive and should not be placed over the engine along a fender rail works well.

The jet can be located anywhere before the throttle body.

The pressure switch should be also be located away from the heat of the engine along a frame rail or the bulkhead works well. I know you are going to use the UTEC switch but it is a good idea to include the mechanical switch as a backup in case the transistor in the UTEC goes out in a closed state and runs the system continuously - set the mechanical switch lower than the UTEC switch and make the circuit such that both the UTEC and the mechanical switch are triggered before the fia2 begins firing the HSV.

The fia2 can be anywhere you wish in the passenger compartment ground at a good location near your choice.

Just some ideas.

wrx+
25-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks, for the additional info. I absolutely hate going into a project without complete information. That will sure speed up the install.

Forum Admin
25-10-2003, 05:21 PM
See edits in post above in italics. Comments on pump were incomplete.

cmetzner
29-10-2003, 04:36 AM
I am by no means an expert but I just installed my 2d in my 99 supercharged Miata. Calif car, 91 octane.

I looked for help from another person who installed tbe 2c just to be sure of the "pulsed" and "unswitched" wires on the piggyback injector that I tapped into.

I found it helpful to layout everything in sequence to get an idea as to where everything goes. I had to do this several times so that I would figure it out. The toughest part is figuring out where to mount everything in the engine bay. I can send you pictures if you like. My e-mail is cmetzner@fergusonmetzner.com

Also, I did not use some of the special electrical connection devices that came with the kit. Instead, on the solenoid I just used butt crimp connectors.

One thing I would do differently: mount the FIA2 inside the car (maybe behind the glove box). I put mine on the firewall in the engine bay and plan on moving it this weekend because I can't use/see the diagnostic lights on the FIA2

Also, this may not apply to you. Do not tap into any piggyback fuel injectors. They many times have a lighter duty cycle than the main injectors and therefore, too little water is injected. I switched mine and tapped into one of the main injectors and now - no pinging. I now run more advance and the car and I are much happier.

-- Chuck

fperra
31-10-2003, 02:02 AM
I'm running the 2D system on my turbocharged Honda S2000 with the .8 mm jet. When the water kicks in at 3 psi, I only get a 14 degree F temp drop in the intake manifold, which seems low. I'm running 600 cc injectors (stock is 360 cc) and I'm wondering if I need a larger jet because of a lower duty cycle for the larger injectors. I suppose I could just bypass the high speed valve and have full pump flow when the pressure switch activates. Any thoughts? Max boost I'm using is 9 psi.

Forum Admin
31-10-2003, 04:55 AM
Yeah most likely your IDCs with those injectors are too low for the HSV to be effective with that size WI jet - especially if you are taking advantage of being able to lean further with water injection than without. The 1.0 may not be enough, you may need to run two 0.6 jets.

What is your HP? Do you have the ability to control fuel and timing?

What is your current max IDCs? What is your AFR at that point?

Going to a static flow will provide enough water for you at the high end but will likely bog you down lower. Static flow is only good over a small range below that you are running too much water and above it you are running to little.

fperra
31-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Yes, I can control timing and fuel. I'll try going to two jets and see how it works.

fperra
01-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Do you think increasing the pump pressure from 6 bars to it's maximum (10 bars) will help with a single .9mm jet?

Forum Admin
03-11-2003, 01:51 AM
It may be possible. Richard L would be the better one to answer that aspect. I do know on the lower jets there comes a point where it would not be worthwhile to increase pressure because the jets are flowing as much as they can. I am also not sure that it can sustain more than 7 bars without an accumulator. Richard is at SEMA it may be sometime before he can respond back.

wrx+
26-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Hey, everybody thanks for all the tips on installing the 2d. It's in and working great. I havn't done any tuning to the utec yet, But I can see and feel the results already, the car is much smoother on acceleration, and runs much cooler. I think I lost some horse power but have gained torqe and lots of it.( tires spin when shifting to second).