PDA

View Full Version : HFS-3 failed the driving test ::FIXED::

TJ
12-07-2012, 09:07 PM
I finally got around to installing my new HFS-3 system. The system passed the pump's test and spray pattern on the jets. As recommended by the manual I kept the jet tapped to the windshield and went for a drive. The system may have gotten activated at least once but it stopped soon after the test drive began. Tested the system again the pump comes one OK but the FAV never came back on when I tested it. Could something have gone wrong with the FAV?

TJ

Richard L
12-07-2012, 11:34 PM
What methanol % mix are you using?

TJ
13-07-2012, 08:31 AM
No methanol yet Richard, just distilled water for now as still in the testing stage.

TJ
13-07-2012, 02:06 PM
What methanol % mix are you using?

Managed to get it to pass the driving test, ran it backwords for a moment, reconnected it and it worked. As mentioned I was only testing with water.

Richard L
13-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Please explain "ran it backwards".

TJ
14-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Please explain "ran it backwards".

The FAV was ticking just fine and the pump was running /flowing water but no water on the other end of the FAV. I figured that some foreign object may have somehow gotten stock in the FAV and caused it to not function as it should so I ran it backwards. What I meant by "ran it backwards" is that I reversed the water circuit at the FAV, put the inlet hose on the outlet of the FAV and ran it for a moment, I have notice water gushing out like, recwonnected the tubes back to the normal position and it starting functioning perfectly.

Richard L
14-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Got it. Good move, flushing out any trapped drbris.

Can you now restate the default direction and tell me if it is is now working.

TJ
14-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Got it. Good move, flushing out any trapped drbris.

Can you now restate the default direction and tell me if it is is now working.

Yes flushed it out for a few moments and restated the default direction, and now it's working great.
You asked earlier about the % of methanol? Now that the system is running good I switched to 100% methanol. The .9 restricter put me at 27% of my maximum fuel. I drove it last night but not sure how much difference it's made. Now I want to switch to 50/50 with the .7 restricter which will put me at 17% of my fuel. With this hot weather we are having in Jordan this summer the cooling from the 50/50 is preferred over the HP gain from the 100% meth. Will have to sometimes run some logs to compare

Richard L
14-07-2012, 05:01 PM
I must remember to use this method to solve debris probem, thank you.

I was concerned about contaminated methanol. A small trace of hydrocarbon will swell up the FAV's piston seal.

I have heard contaminated methanol in non-factory sealed drums. It appeared some speed shop decaned it into a recycled cannistor (contaminated) and then put a "press-on" seal lid on it.

Be very careful where you get your methanol from.

TJ
15-07-2012, 05:05 AM
I must remember to use this method to solve debris probem, thank you.

I was concerned about contaminated methanol. A small trace of hydrocarbon will swell up the FAV's piston seal.

I have heard contaminated methanol in non-factory sealed drums. It appeared some speed shop decaned it into a recycled cannistor (contaminated) and then put a "press-on" seal lid on it.

Be very careful where you get your methanol from.

So far I have used pure methanol from a sealed container but will use your advise for future reference.

Richard L
15-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Only a sealed container direct from factory, not a re-capped container for a local supplier.

TJ
19-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Only a sealed container direct from factory, not a re-capped container for a local supplier.

It was factory sealed.

I plan to run 3 jets past the TBS, I think that it will look much tidier to use a distribution manifold than to utilize 2 X T fittings. Do I need a check valve? if yes then should it be one between the FAV and the manifold or 3 between the manifold and each jet?

Richard L
21-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Will there be a pressure differential between the jets during boost and after lift-off? If it does, you need to have a checkvalve to isolate between them. This is to prevent the liquid being drawn out of the hose between the jets.

If you can keep the between the jets and FAV as short as possible, you may not require a checkvalve or checkvalves.

TJ
23-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Will there be a pressure differential between the jets during boost and after lift-off? If it does, you need to have a checkvalve to isolate between them. This is to prevent the liquid being drawn out of the hose between the jets.

If you can keep the between the jets and FAV as short as possible, you may not require a checkvalve or checkvalves.

Here is my 3 x jet set up, the T fittings are not in the best position in an attempt to keep every thing from touching the intake manifold, this is just temporary set up until I install the distribution manifold. I might even do a 4th jet at .3 pre turbo. I am thinking of mounting the distribution manifold above the intake manifold, run +/- equal length tubes to the three jets, this will make the distance from the DM to the jets short but from the FAV to DM about 2 feet (none straight line), Checkvales any one?