PDA

View Full Version : Water injection and water level lights after hitting threshold.

deanorino
30-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Hey all!

So I got an hfs-3 system used and installed in the past week. I have everything wired up and mounted but have three problems that I cannot solve.

1. When testing the system, if I set threshold all the way counter clock wise and blip the accelerator I get amber on the module and the pump kicks on. I also get yellow water injection and yellow water level lights . After a second or two from delivery, the lights turn off. First the water injection, then the water level.

2. The FAV is not working from what I understand. The pump turns on as I have said above, but no water sprays from the nozzle. I feel like this is not normal. There is water present before the valve but not after.

3. After turning off the car the Pump powers on full and the valve opens spraying water for around 3 seconds. I understand that my dme does this after engine stop but I don't know why the valve would not restrict this. I have angel eyes tapped into dme power (not the same as aquamist) and they turn off at the exact time of the pump. Both are a power source from ignition position 2.

Background info

2003 BMW 330i supercharged

No fail safe in place, all wires capped.

I pulled the jumpers on the aquamist board from the fail safe . I am not sure of this is correct but I am not going to be using a fail safe option.

I believe I have

Inj, pwm, DBO, and one other jumper that I cannot remember.

Wires are injector + to 12v before fuel injector relay

Injector - to cylinder 2 injector ground after dme

Red power to 12v ignition position 2 source

Long story short,

Delivery indication good. Flicker of green on board good (faster with rpm) pump kicks on in delivery threshold. No spray at any time and both gauge yellow lights illuminate. Only sprays after engine shutdown or by bypassing valve.

Help :(

Richard L
30-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Check the following:

Voltage at test pin 5:
(checking the red wire of the grey harness)

1. Ignition key "off" position
2. Ignition key on "accessories" position
3. Ignition key on " pre-crank" position.

Richard L
30-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Check the following:

Voltage at test pin 5 relative to ground pin.
(checking the red wire of the grey harness)

1. Ignition key "off" position
2. Ignition key on "accessories" position
3. Ignition key on " pre-crank" position.

deanorino
30-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I will check when i get home. currently at work. I really appreciate the quick response!

i should see

0v,

0v,

12v?

Richard L
31-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Yes, this is what you suppose to see. Please update.

deanorino
31-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Perfect.

0v

0v

12.2v

deanorino
31-10-2012, 02:48 AM
One discrepancy, after moving from pre crank back to 0 position, I see 3.7 v for 3 seconds, then 2v for 2 seconds then zero. Explains the pump on after shut down I believe..

deanorino
31-10-2012, 03:01 AM
All three lights on hfs-3 module illuminate after moving from position two to acc or zero. Along with the above mentioned voltages.

deanorino
31-10-2012, 03:53 AM
When sys is jumped the nozzle sprays. So the fav works I assume

Richard L
31-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Interesting but puzzling.

Can you tell me where the red wire of the grey connector goes to. I like to check this location against my DME files. Keen to know the function of this pin.

Richard L
31-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Interesting but puzzling.

Can you tell me where the red wire of the grey connector goes to. I like to check this location against my DME files. Keen to know the function of this pin.

deanorino
31-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Alright, so I will check at lunch time but the red
Connector to gray plug is tapped to dme power or similar. I checked other pins and all of the power wires I tested had the same result. Now I tested the system and everything works , I get progressive spraying and flow is registering. I remedy the pump issue after power down by turning off the gauge before engine shutdown and I have no issue. It is weird however how I get the three injecting lights on the PWM module after shutdown , with or without the gauge on.

Now when I do inject, the water injection light illuminates , then water level , until It is done injecting. If I remember correctly this indicates the fail safe is active, however I don't want any fail safe setup. Which jumpers should I remove or place to achieve this?

Sorry for the long post!

Richard L
02-11-2012, 09:12 PM
I will try to simulate the same situation from here, can you tell me what other wires are used on the HFS-3 other than the molex, red and green on the grey harness. Are you using the green harness?

P997.tt
09-09-2015, 10:03 PM
I've been having this same problem lately .. System was running great for a couple of months, started after removing the jets and running the system on the SYS jumper to flush the lines and reset the SC trimmer to read 6 bars at full flow ...

The system sprays as normal and flow bars show on the gauge but both yellow lights come on and disappear .... Also does not seem to happen all the time, some times the yellow lights wont come on after switching gears where the system goes to nil for a short period ..

I tried adjusting the SC trimmer again, then the WL and WH without use ...

What could trigger these lights and how can I fix this please?

Richard L
10-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Can you adjust the FSDL to 2pm.

Possibilities:
- bubbles in the line
- semi-clogged in-tank filter
- some debris in the flow sensor tube.

Can you explain "removing the jets" Is is for spray pattern test?

P997.tt
10-09-2015, 09:05 AM

Possibilities:
- bubbles in the line

I will check the list and report back ..

I removed the jets from their position on the intake pipe to run the SYS link test. At the time wanted to reset the SC trimmer as it was not showing 6bars at full blast ...

Richard L
11-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Can you send a picture of the opened controller with all the plugs in.
A good hi resolution one.

Richard L
11-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Now when I do inject, the water injection light illuminates , then water level , until It is done injecting. If I remember correctly this indicates the fail safe is active, however I don't want any fail safe setup. Which jumpers should I remove or place to achieve this?

Sorry for the long post!

You can put jumper onto the DSF link.

P997.tt
18-09-2015, 01:05 AM

Possibilities:
- bubbles in the line

UPDATE:

- I checked the tank filter and it looks clean
- I set FSDL to 2 pm

Yet the problem is still there ....

How to purge the lines and the flow tube of possible debris?

The system was running fine for a few months, and the spray goes through as usual, just the two yellow lights come on as soon as the threshold is reached then go away. I also noticed its not happening all the time just most of it.

If I am in a high gear and just stopped spraying, when I get back on the throttle and induce spray the light dont come on ...

I dont have the failsafe wired, but I do rely on the failsafe lights to tell me there is a problem that needs my attention ....

Thanx for the help ...

Richard L
19-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Do a system test with the nozzle/nozzles spraying into a measuring jar for one minute. This should help me a lot.

P997.tt
23-09-2015, 03:06 PM
UPDATE: SOLVED!!

Thanks to the great support from Richard here and over many emails.

Problem was in the control box settings, a bad combo of THRES and GAIN ... Dialed both back a few clicks and the lights stopped coming on, system is back to normal again ...

Thank you Richard for your time and a great product,

Cheers