PDA

View Full Version : failsafe wiring diagram to oem ecu

davidleow89
20-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi Richard,

I have just spoken to Mr Gan from Gan motorsports singapore regarding the install of hfs3 on my my09 subaru forester xt. sh9. He told me to check with you if you have the wiring diagram to connect the failsafe up to the oem ecu. I am running ecutek racerom. Please advise, thanks.

David

davidleow89
20-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi Richard,

Mr gan also mentioned that i not run 80/20 mix and run 50/50 instead, is there a reason for that? and also as mine is a sti tmic, where is a good place to put the nozzle?

David

davidleow89
21-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Please Help Richard. Thanks

Richard L
21-11-2012, 02:13 PM
I am away from my office with limite3d internet access.at the moment.

There are two failsafe options for your car.
1. Cutting boost (white and brown wire of the grey harness
2. Map switch: orange wire of the grey harness (wire to the "test mode" pin).

You should be able to match one of the drawings on the HFS3 wiring diagram section of your car.

davidleow89
21-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your help, i have sent the diagram to Mr Gan, the problem we are facing now is that he does not know how to connect the failsafe to my apexi avcr boost controller. Can you help with that? i have been on the forum for days now looking for solution.

David

leman_opc
21-11-2012, 05:39 PM
I think you may try cutting the control wire from AVCR to the boost control solenoid and connect white wire to AVCR / brown wire to solenoid - this will keep the solenoid always open when HFS-3 is in failsafe mode, irrespective of AVCR mode/settings. Your boost will be then determined by the breakdown pressure of the spring in you wastegate / wastegate actuator.

You may have a look at the diagram Richard posted when I was asking re. failsafe operation, makes it all much easier to understand http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=17390&postcount=6

PS. hope it helps just while Richard is not in the office - hopefully Richard will post when he's back as I didn't have any experience in wiring hfs-3 + avcr myself...

davidleow89
22-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi leman_opc, thanks for your tip, i will try tomolo, but i read somewhere in this forum that Richard mention that a plused 12v is better than the constant 12v. My solenoid wire is red and black, so i guess i have to try and find out which one is plused.

leman_opc
22-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes, the manual mentions that you should cut the pulsed (=signal wire) to the solenoid. The other wire is usually +12v switched (i.e. 0 voltage vs. negative terminal of the battery when ign is off, +12v vs. minus terminal of the battery when ign is on).

For me it was a bit challenging to find the signal wire as on my car the ECU switches both solenoid wires to +12v on ign on and idling, so I get some duty cycle on the signal wire only on the move. For me trying both wires was the only way (luckily the first I cut was the right guess).

In your case probably you may detect the signal wire by changing the settings on AVCR. If you manage to get AVCR change the voltage on one of the wires with IGN on then it is the signal one.

PS. I would imagine signal is the black one as red one is usually +12v feed, but I'm just guessing.

davidleow89
23-11-2012, 07:28 PM
System is installed with success. Now just waiting on tuning to be done next week. Thanks to Richard and Leman_opc for your help. (leman_opc, good guess, it is the black one for the avcr.) I couldn't hook up the orange wire for map switch tho as when failsafe kick in, i had problem starting the car when the map was switched. I just went with boost failsafe. However, because my ecu can run dual map, i was wondering if i can run the alternative map without the gauge on when i dont feel like running meth injection and not set off the failsafe.. do i link up the DHB? That way when the gauge is off , the failsafe is off and i can still run full boost when i am on the alternate map. But when i switch back to meth map and turn on the gauge the failsafe will be active but not triggered. Am i right?

Richard L
24-11-2012, 02:04 AM
It is good know the system is now fully installed and running.

The map switch to test mode connector will work if you un-link the "CLP" jumper. Try it. The ECU does not like the clipped signal

DFS allows you to run full boost regardless of the gauge status
DHB allows you to run high boost when you switch off the gauge.

If you get CEL, link DR=1.

davidleow89
25-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Richard,

i have remove the clp jumper to test the map switch and the moment the failsafe is triggered, engine shuts down and can't get it restarted. I got a check light with the code telling me high current input. I guess the ecu doesent' like 8v input too. i put the jumper back on clp and cleared the cel, and engine was back to normal. Failsafe being boost cut only.

Richard L
05-12-2012, 12:10 PM
This is interesting.

The CLP reduce the 8V map switch voltage down to 5V.

I am a bit puzzles if we are picking up the correct test mode pin from the ECU. I have had this done on many subarus but never have such a drastic effect.

Can you wire the map switch wire directly to the test mode connector.

Either way, it is not necessary to activate the "boost drop" as well as activating the "limp home" option.

Septy Foresterxt2.0
19-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Hello Richard
I have a 2003 Subaru Forester XT 2.0 SG5 ,and I bought 2 weeks ago a HFS-3v3.1 , and I need a little help.
I linked orange wire to the "test mode" pin , What should I do now?
un-link the "CLP" jumper to see if ECU enters into test mode, end after i link back the CLP jumper? or i un-link the CLP, end , link DR=1 ,and leave them in this position?
And FS1, under what conditions can be used?
Thanks
Septy

Richard L
19-03-2016, 05:43 PM
You leave the DR0 untouched

To use the "test-mode" connect, you need to pull out the "CLP" jumper link. FS0 should be jumper linked.