PDA

View Full Version : Pump dying?

leman_opc
10-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Richard, would appreciate your advice on the iunstable flow issue I'm having once gain after several month normal operation.

The kit works normally in SYS mode, with the FDC jumper linked FIDC is also shown correctly on the bar gauge.

With the pump constantly on (pulled the socket from 30a relay and linked +12v feed to the pump) the flow is stable as it should be. With the pump connected via the relay the flow is OK for some short period and then gets unstable again (mostly underflowing).

Is my pump dying again or maybe any other ideas on what I should check before replacing? Is there a chance to get an "outdoor" version of the pump on special order (mine is located under front bumper so water / dirt are an issue).

Richard L
10-09-2013, 10:30 PM
The pump is never meant to be fitted in the engine bay. The relay cluster is not water proof. The system is designed for trunk installation.

I suggest remove the pump from the car and open it up, check the bearing just behind the pump head. You need to undo a few bolts.

leman_opc
11-09-2013, 07:23 AM
OK, will do and post here. What would you recommend for lubricating the bearing?

BTW, is there a disassembly guide available for these pumps? With my previous pump I tried replacing the lower shaft bearing you mention but didn't manage to get the motor shaft out...

1 Quick Bunny
11-09-2013, 09:38 PM
...BTW, is there a disassembly guide available for these pumps?...

The new style Aquamist pumps look like a standard high pressure shureflow pump modified with the nice ports etc. Googling that, I quickly found a bunch of information. I do not know what shurflow most closely resembles your pump though. Should be easy for you to find something with the parts in your hand.

I can't say on the lubrication.

Richard L
11-09-2013, 10:55 PM
once the bearing is seized, it almost welded the shaft on. Use some force.

Richard L
11-09-2013, 10:57 PM
The new style Aquamist pumps look like a standard high pressure shureflow pump modified with the nice ports etc. Googling that, I quickly found a bunch of information. I do not know what shurflow most closely resembles your pump though. Should be easy for you to find something with the parts in your hand.

I can't say on the lubrication.

The pump is made by Aquatec USA, the part number is on the label.

leman_opc
03-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Just to update this: after my tests with setting the pump constantly on for some time the flow improved and the system works flawlessly for almost a month now.

I still fail to understand the background of the issues I had, nevertheless I'm not planning on taking the whole thing apart while it works OK. I'll further update this if I face the flow problems again and post the results of pump disassembly then.

Thanks for all the support / suggestions in the meanwhile!

Richard L
03-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Until you open up the pump completely, you can never be certain. I suggest do it before the cold winter sets in.