PDA

View Full Version : Aquamist pump won't prime

Giles Gilbert
23-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi Folks,
I need your help. The water level in my tank is above the pump. I've sucked water all the way through the pump supply pipe such that it now continues to flow out of the end of the pipe that is connected to the pump. I power on the pump but the water does not get sucked through! Even if I disconnect the pipe on the exit side of the pump nothing comes through. I've even tried sucking on a pipe connected to the exit of the pump while the pump is running and all I get is a vacuum in the pipe I am using to suck through. What am I doing wrong folks :-(

perry190
24-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Has the system been working ok or is this a new install?

(if new it could be wiring, if existing then obviously not)

can you actually hear the pump running or just 'kick in' on start up?

Giles Gilbert
24-05-2004, 01:50 AM
It's a new system. It's getting 14 volt supply and is grounded to the chassis. The pump is at the level of the center of the tank. The output of the pump is a little higher than the input. It's making lots of noise (I guess that's normal :-) ). I've been running the pump for 3 to 5 seconds at a time so I don't fry the pump. I've been trying it without any pipe connected to the output except for the suction test I did. It's also correctly plumbed. i.e. the tank is connected to the input :-)

Giles Gilbert
24-05-2004, 03:39 AM
I've just tried applying positive pressure to the input side and nothing is coming through when the pump is on. I've also noted that the metal core that runs through the pump can be rotated. Is that normal?

Giles Gilbert
24-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Spoke with the guys at Aquamist. They said to use a syringe to provide the pressure, as human breath power is not enough.

perry190
24-05-2004, 01:55 PM
I used a garden hose, it fitted nicely over the inlet nut

Giles Gilbert
24-05-2004, 04:15 PM
FIXED :-)

I ended up using the syringe that I use for transmission fluid changes as no one would sell me a 20cc oral syringe. If it can have a needle put on the end of it they won't sell it to you unless you have a prescription. I even tried the vets office!

perry190
24-05-2004, 10:56 PM
glad you managed to get it sorted matey :-)

Giles Gilbert
25-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I can see a garden hose would work really well. Using the 60psi or so you get from a home water supply would probably do the trick. I spoke with Aquamist again who said that the pump is really hard to prime when it is dry. From this point onwards it should be a breeze :-)