PDA

View Full Version : Getting more flow from your pump, next idea

ryan
27-05-2004, 02:00 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post, I was reading about using a primming pump on the aqaumist pump with a transitor to detect pulses then operate the washer pump, how long can you run the window washer pump for before it over heats?, or is this not an issue.

My thoughts to achive the same results, if not even more flow from the aqaumist pump with a low tech approach, would be, make sure you have an air tight tank, and run a line from the top of the tank to the intake plenum, so as the boost increases (and water demand) so does the water pressure into the aqaumist pump causing the same effect, - the higher the boost, the higher the flow of aqaumist pump.

So if your running say 20psi boost your aqaumist pump will be getting higher prewater pressure than with a washer pump.

My pump + tank is in the trunk, so I may have to do the primming pump trick on my setup, hence the top question about burning out the primming pump.

Cheers
Ryan

Richard L
27-05-2004, 08:21 PM
On the set up proposed on another thread, the priming pump only runs whist the aquamist pump is working, most of the time it just sat idle.

Your idea of the sealing the tank is good, it will balance out any differential pressure loss exerted on the output side of aquamist pump.

The priming pump is normally rated at 2.5 to 3 bar, unless you run over these pressure on your turbo, you will still gain pressure from the pump. Why not use the presurised tank as well as the priming pump?

mosk
27-05-2004, 09:45 PM
But won't this approach (of pressurizing the water tank via a line from the plenum) also, in effect, increase plenum size? You are creating a dead space that will mimic the pressure of your plenum, i.e., if you have a 1.5L water tank that is 1/3 full, you've added another liter of space to your plenum that must be pressurized before the intake charge is forced into the cylinders, and this can't be beneficial. Hmmm...maybe if you also used a check valve so that, once pressurized, the tank would retain pressure and wouldn't need to 'cycle' with the rest of your system? Would you also want some sort of pressure relief solenoid to trigger when the engine was shut off? Maybe I'm just making this overly complicated in my head.

Also, doesn't the accumulator and/or damper serve the same purpose (albeit on the pressure side of the pump)? I see more value in adding a second accumulator between the tank/priming pump and the Aquamist pump than in pressurizing the tank itself.

Just some thoughts...

-Jeff

Richard L
06-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Good point!