PDA

View Full Version : causes for irratic or low flow readings

chris-mr2
03-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Having issue's with flow being shown on my gauge, upon manual testing before and after fav gauge fills up all bars and is steady, test drive with single wot run gauge fills all bars, if I try to do a run of wot one after the other in 3 gears flow drops to 2, but after leaving it a few seconds another wot would fill all bars?

Almost as if something cant keep up, I have vented lids with a howerton engineering 2 tank set up and they are full to the brim.

Have taken evrything apart and checked for debris and purged system many times but still having issues.

Any thoughts on what else I should be checking?

Richard L
03-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Looks like you have a clogged filter.

chris-mr2
03-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Other than the tank filters where are other ones located? I dismantled the fav assembly and took jet apart and couldn't see any blocks, can the flow sensor be removed from inside the metal housing? I did blow through it and herd it spinning, should you be able to hear it blowing through from both ends?

chris-mr2
03-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Have noticed air bubbles in tank? If I tap the filter bubbles rise up from filter

chris-mr2
03-08-2014, 02:36 PM
I do get bubbles forming in my mix when I mix my methanol and water, is this normal? Should I be leaving it to settle before putting into my system

Using di water from halfords 60%
Methal from jennychem 40%

Richard L
03-08-2014, 03:19 PM
I wonder where you get the bubbles from. This is not normal.

You should hear the same spinning from both ends. How recent is the tank installation?

chris-mr2
03-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Has been in about 4 months now, was mapped/dyno'd for meth without and issues (produced very good power increase straight away with a very mild map)

As I pour the methanol into the di-ionisde water it forms thousands of tiny bubbles and the mix heats up slightly, is this normal?

Or just the bubbles in the tank abnormal

I did have a tiny leak on the intake side of the pump so must of sucked air in at some point but have purged since

Have swapped my flow sensor for a spare I had that seems to require allot less effort to produce a noise and works in both directions, is it possible for debris to get stuck in the hall assembly?

Richard L
03-08-2014, 04:34 PM
A small leak in the inlet will produce a lot of bubbles.

It is possible some debris trapped inside the flow sensor. Is the flow sensor the original HFS3-v1?

chris-mr2
03-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I think it is an old one, looks different to ones for sale on your website, with 14mm hex sections at both ends instead of just one end??

Richard L
03-08-2014, 04:45 PM
When water is poured into the methanol. It will produce quite a bit of heat during the ion-exchange stage. If the water has been airyated after transportation, bubble will release when it warms up, similar to the initial stage of boiling a jug of water.

If you pour methanol in to water, it i not as violent.

is you methanol quite pure? No change of small trace of hydrocarbon got mixed in?

chris-mr2
03-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Jennychem says there methanol is 99.85 % pure, if I stir it quite a few bubbles are produced, I will test with different flow sensor and let you know my findings

Thanks for your support

chris-mr2
03-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Tested with new sensor assembly on, seems to of sorted the problem and is definitely more responsive to flow.

Can I send my suspected broken one to you for testing just to be sure? Would it be best for me to buy an up to date new sensor?

Richard L
03-08-2014, 11:20 PM
I really cannot not spend the time on something that has been replaced a few years ago. it just does not make sense.

Why do you need to buy a new sensor assembly if you already have one running good?

The methanol may be 99.85% pure in a sealed tank. But once open and mixed, anything can happen unless you have a controlled environment/clean room facility.

I am not a chemist. Didn't it be better to ask Jerrychem why their methanol produces bubble when mixed with Demin water. (assuming the dimin water is also 99.85% pure).

chris-mr2
04-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Ok thanks for the advice, I'll see what jennychem say

Richard L
04-08-2014, 07:24 AM
I am very curious to know.