PDA

View Full Version : Failsafe, and some other questions.

SpoolinB
14-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Hey guys!

I've been lurking about this forum for a little and wanted to join up as I've recently been having some odd things going on with my HFS3 kit. I have a 2002 Audi S4 Avant and I have reason to believe that the system is tripping a failsafe, and I cannot figure out why. (This system always just worked, I never had to do anything with it.)

I thought at first it was the FAV, so I re-tightened it up, and it seemed to be working. But recently, I've been seeing both the 'level' light and the injection (upper yellow) light come on, sometimes one, sometimes both.

Does the mounting orientation affect things with the pump? I'm really looking for a place to start troubleshooting. The methanol DOES spray when I do a system test, but in the interest of full disclosure, it's not a nice cone-shaped mist, but rather somewhat of a stream, which is disconcerting.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Richard L
14-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Good thing the system has detected an abnormal flow.

Here are a list of things to check:

1. In-tank filter particially clogged
2. the pump's bypass valve may need readjusting, The internal spring can get weak after a while. 1/4 on the allen screw on the front of the pump normally cures it.

Where is the pump located?

SpoolinB
14-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Pump is located in the trunk area. It's not mounted vertical though (hoses on the bottom), it's mounted sideways. Does that make a difference?

SpoolinB
14-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Can I pull the actual nozzles out if the pipe and try testing them again? I THINK I may have just had the tunes without the nozzles attached.

SpoolinB
14-08-2015, 07:00 PM
1/4 turn CW or CCW on the front of the pump?

SpoolinB
14-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Lastly (as I realized we're on vastly different time zones, so I want to give/get all the info I can between replies), is/should the flow sensor on the FAV be permanently attached TO the FAV? Currently, mine is just clipped on but not permanently attached. There's some kind of [what looks like] resin/epoxy under it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll shut up til I hear back. :o

Richard L
14-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Can you send a picture of the FAV with the clip attached, I am not 100% understood your description.

1/4 CW to increase pressure

I need you to do some of the checks I mentioned earlier. The conversation is too scattered for me to focus on your issue.

SpoolinB
14-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Richard! Thank you so much for the quick replies. Sorry I've scattered the thread. I will adjust the pump tonight once I get home to my tools.

here's the photos:

FAV, CLIP OFF:
http://motorsported.com/770R-S4/avantHFS3/meth_fav02.jpg

FAV, CLIP ON:
http://motorsported.com/770R-S4/avantHFS3/meth_fav01.jpg

IN-TANK FILTER:
http://motorsported.com/770R-S4/avantHFS3/meth_tank01.jpg

PUMP ORIENTATION:
http://motorsported.com/770R-S4/avantHFS3/meth_pump01.jpg

SpoolinB
19-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Any thoughts on this, Richard?

SpoolinB
19-08-2015, 06:07 PM
So I gave the pump a 1/4 turn, and it seems to fail safe less but it's still tripping the fail safe. Seems to hit the low water light first (which is odd on a full tank), and then I'll see the "W.Injection" light on momentarily, and then things will flow, kinda. It still DOES flow, but something is definitely off.

I'm having the car smoked for both a boost and vac leak tomorrow, I dont know if that has anything to do with it. Thoughts?

Richard L
19-08-2015, 09:02 PM
I have suspicion the pump bearing a partially seized. It is not recommended to expose the pump is the open environment.

How long have you had the installation done?

SpoolinB
19-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I have suspicion the pump bearing a partially seized. It is not recommended to expose the pump is the open environment.

How long have you had the installation done?

The pump is actually "hidden" in an area where a 6 CD changer would go... and is hidden behind a little door. That's pretty much it.

The install was done in July of 2011. What can we do?

SpoolinB
18-09-2015, 02:09 AM
Still nothing on this one? I've been running around the car, finding other things that need attention and attending to that.

So what exactly trips the failsafe? A malfunction in the system itself or something in the car that the system doesnt like? ... or both?

Richard L
19-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Do a system test with the nozzle/nozzles spraying into a measuring jar for one minute. This should help me a lot.