PDA

View Full Version : Power Benifits of water injection

macka'sxr6t
24-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

Good to see the forum back up and running. i just joined before the upgrade.

I'm extremely interested in this subject. This is my first turbo car and it's awesome. I'm from Australia andyou are probably not familar with my vehicle so I'll give you a quick run down. I'ts called a Ford XR6Turbo, engine specs are

4.0lt turbocharged 6 cylinder
24 valve DOHC VCT
Max torque = 470nm from 2000 - 4800 rpm
Max Power = 240 Kw
@ 6 psi boost
14.4 sec 1/4 mile

I have done some mods to mine and have increased the power to
300 Kw by increasing boost to 9 psi. I will be increasing the power to 360 Kw in 2 days by adding larger injectors and increasing boost to 12 psi. Cars running these mods are doing 12.3 sec 1/4 mile using street tyres.

My question is do you think that water injection would provide any power increases or other advantages to help improve the performance of the engine. I would like to be one of the first cars in Australia to run in the 11 sec bracket on street tyres

My ecu can control the water injection what would be the best system to use and why.

Looking forward to your replies

hotrod
24-08-2004, 04:00 PM
If your new higher boost level gets you into the performance level where you are knock limited by your fuel octane, then I would say odds are you will very much appreciate WI.

Generally WI will increase your safety margin against detonation at high power levels, inproves engine torque capability and will net you lower EGT's for a given power level, and less problems with high temperature inlet air temp issues.

You didn't mention how the intercooling is setup on your car or how satisfactory the normal setup is in that regard. If your intercooling is marginal you should see a major advantage with the WI.

Larry

dc96819
01-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Water will supress the knock so you up the boost.Get a pump that will flow enough water at the right psi .Next i would worry about the head gasket often wondered about that.