PDA

View Full Version : Washer bottle set up for water injection

Gelf
10-09-2004, 01:01 PM
My engine bay is very compact, ive think ive found some where to mount the pump and other components, but theres no room for an additional water tank.

My existing washer bottle is hidden under the wing and already has a low water level warning alert on the dash MFD, which is ideal.

Will this work ? Your opinions please.

What i want to do is adapt the existing setup in the following way.

1. Tee into washer jet pipe, connect to the water injector pump.

2. Fit a switched inline valve between tee piece and washer jets.

3. Wire the inline valve to washer jet pump circuit, so it switches on when washer pump activated, so the washer jets operate.

4. Fit diodes between washer jet circuit and washer pump, so the inline switch doesn't activate when the water injection pump circuit is activated (5.).

5. Wire washer pump to the water injection pump circuit, so it switches on when the injector pump comes on, priming the injector pump.

6. Fit diodes between washer pump and water injection pump circuit, to prevent the water injection pump swithing on, when the washer jet circuit is activated.

I think ive covered every thing ?

Richard L
12-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Your suggestion will work but it is quite complicated electrically. I need to know if your WI is aquamist system or pump similar to a Shurflo.

If it is an Aquamist system, the link below is a slightly simplied version: but requires a activation circuitry. ( we can noramlly supply it to you free)
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=401

Gelf
12-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Your suggestion will work but it is quite complicated electrically. I need to know if your WI is aquamist system or pump similar to a Shurflo.

If it is an Aquamist system, the link below is a slightly simplied version: but requires a activation circuitry. ( we can noramlly supply it to you free)
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=401

It is an aquamist, cheers.

Richard L
12-09-2004, 06:29 PM
The above mentioned thread would probably work well for all systems with the washer tank well below the Aquamist pump.

The introduction of a checkvalve splice into the upper section of the windshield washer delivery hose would ensure the minimum water level is high up everytime the washer is activated.

If you are taking that route, you have to ensure the following if you have a system1s:

1. An inline valve must be used on system1s or you will be injecting water everytime the washer is activated.

2. You also need a repeater circuit to activate the valve whee 1s is activated.

The picture at the above link illustrated the arrangement pretty clearly.

Richard L
18-09-2004, 10:16 AM
If you have a system2d, you don't need the inline valve or a circuit to active it.

It should be quite simple to locate the windshield wash pipe, it has to go toward the wassher jet. A low cost non-return valve before the y-piece splice will ensure the water level do not go below the aquamist pump.

Gelf
18-09-2004, 10:27 AM
The above mentioned thread would probably work well for all systems with the washer tank well below the Aquamist pump.

The introduction of a checkvalve splice into the upper section of the windshield washer delivery hose would ensure the minimum water level is high up everytime the washer is activated.

If you are taking that route, you have to ensure the following if you have a system1s:

1. An inline valve must be used on system1s or you will be injecting water everytime the washer is activated.

2. You also need a repeater circuit to activate the valve whee 1s is activated.

The picture at the above link illustrated the arrangement pretty clearly.

Unfortunately i could only find some where accessable for the pumps above the washer bottle.

Im going to be using two 2d kits, if im correct i wont need the inline valve becuase the HSV' will do the same job.

So all i really need to do is position the filter as low to the washer bottle as possible, and fit a check valve above the level of the pumps in the washer delivery tube.

I was thinkin of introducing a check valve to the washer tube on a seperate circuit, so that the washers could be switched of and the washer pump could be used as a priming pump if desired. Would the activation (repeater) circuitery you mentioned in (2.) be able to do this ?

Richard L
18-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Unfortunately i could only find some where accessable for the pumps above the washer bottle.

Im going to be using two 2d kits, if im correct i wont need the inline valve becuase the HSV' will do the same job.

perfectly correct.

So all i really need to do is position the filter as low to the washer bottle as possible, and fit a check valve above the level of the pumps in the washer delivery tube.

Yes, the arrangment is ideal.

I was thinkin of introducing a check valve to the washer tube on a seperate circuit, so that the washers could be switched of and the washer pump could be used as a priming pump if desired. Would the activation (repeater) circuitery you mentioned in (2.) be able to do this ?

This is also a good idea, "one filter, one check valve" twice. Each circuit supply each pump. A separate circuit is a nice touch.

You can use a toggle switch: you can isolate the washer switch in one position and use the "repeater+relay" to switch on the washer pump as a priming pump in the other position.

I hope yopu have a big water tank !!! :D

Gelf
19-09-2004, 09:08 AM
I hope yopu have a big water tank !!! :D

Ive been thinkin about that, may be a reserve tank in the boot, on a timer to fill the washer bottle when the low level warning circuit is activated :?:

Edit:

If the container in the boot is at the same level or higher and is connected with some 6mm tube to the base of the washer bottle , gravity will keep them at the same level :?

Richard L
22-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Ive been thinkin about that, may be a reserve tank in the boot, on a timer to fill the washer bottle when the low level warning circuit is activated :?:

This is a good idea, everytime the front tank is below the level sensor, the priming pump actives automatiocally and transfer water from the rear tank to fill the front tank, an extension timer will allow the water to be filled above the level sensor.